Thread: LW 8.2.1 Shortfall ??

LW 8.2.1 Shortfall ??

Layout Global Light Intensity and Global Flare Intensity have been reset to exceed 100% and -100%

Ummm - nope.

Also - Modeler now crashes if I open then close it w/o doing anything. Long as I create any type of object it works normally on closing. Otherwise - crash.

On comments regarding Scene Editor multi-select and value entry in fields - why does it have be awkward? Although the 8.0 scene editor was a bit quirky at least it was straight forward in those areas. And made it a breeze to multi-select and lock motion channels so they didn't get inadvertantly altered. Now it seems it'll be easier to do it the old way .... one by one, channel by channel. Even with several dozen objects.

sigh

btw - my OS is W2K SP 4. No set connection in order to limit exposure to net nasties. Nuked and repaved two weeks ago - something I do fairly frequently in case any of those nasties got copied over in LW related stuff.

byte_fx

I can verify the "Layout Global Light Intensity and Global Flare Intensity have been reset to exceed 100% and -100% " does not work. but Modeler opens and closes just fine for me.

One thing I did notice is that Lightwave still says 8.2 it does not display 8.2.1 after the update either on the title bar or in the about Lightwave menu.
    ImageReality.com

"Relax...it's just an update for the patch to fix the nerf that nerfed the fix for the update of the patch that broke the fix that was fixed."

Late 2013 MacPro 12 Core

Think it mentions in the text leading to the d/l login that 8.2 won't be chaged to 8.2.1 in the title bars or info tag.

The modeler crash isn't that big a deal since no data is lost - just an info type thing.

May be time for another nuke 'n' repave - I've been copying several free plugs lately - all of which worked ok under 8.2.

Disappointed about the global intensity/flare bit - hopefully next time. It's real handy to have.

Really would like to see Scene Editor get back to the basics on eae of use for routine stuff.

byte_fx

Global Light intensity / Flares Intensity can get any value but in the envelopes only.
    In the GUI valid values are only 0-100%

Yes it can... if you want to take the extra steps needed to create an envelope then keep opening and editing the set point while tweaking ovre-all lighting w/o affecting balance. Kinda counter-productive in terms of work flow and ease of use when you're just trying tp set a single valus and not an envelope.

However - my interpretation was that the gui bug had been fixed. In truth that's the only reaon I applied 8.2.1.

Don't use bones or the the other plugs affected and haven't had any problems with the image loaders/savers.

So - after the nuke 'n' repave that's coming up I'll just not apply 8.2.1 - no reason to.

However - I will be saving a copy of the included .pdf as it seems more complete re 8.2 than the one the 8.2 d/l contains.

So maybe some good came out of 8.2.1 after all.

byte_fx

Quote Originally Posted by WizCraker
    ...One thing I did notice is that Lightwave still says 8.2 it does not display 8.2.1 after the update either on the title bar or in the about Lightwave menu.
    That's because 8.2.1 is a plug-in update only. Nothing is updated in the core app so therefore LW still reads 8.2.

Modeler still stays open and ready to rock even after doing a Close or Close All in an empty environment.
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

Whatīs I really hate with the latest updates is, that in every update stuff that worked in former versions is buggy or broken.

In 8.2 the bone tools and others
    In 8.2.1 Scene editor Weightmap assignment crashes LW.

Sometimes itīs better not to conceal the term Beta Software

Really trivial, but still...

Besides, isn't it odd that NewTek changed the version number scheme? Formerly, there was LW 7.5, then 7.5b and 7.5c. Now it isn't 8.2b but 8.2.1. I am deeply puzzled!

It's not all that difficult - we had 8.0.1 as well - we are now following a more traditional version incrementation system...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (388.13, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee
    It's not all that difficult - we had 8.0.1 as well - we are now following a more traditional version incrementation system...

B
    Well...no: Seem more you keep up the tradition to change the versioning system....

(Well why not...there still roman numbers and greek cyphers, for you to explore....)