Thread: Parenting Bone BUG!!!

Angry Parenting Bone BUG!!!

Is there a new bug in lightwave? when I parent a bone to another bone in a simple head setup it works fine can rotate it etc. Then when I reload the scene the bone shifts to a new position? can anyone help? is this a bug or my mistake?

Did you set it's rest position?
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Cheers for the response Dodgy, it is something to do with the bones rest position but I dont get the whole concept. Anyway I have reset the scene so the actual object is in its start position, reapplied and setup the bones and now it works? before the object ( that had the bones ) was parented to a null that placed the object in the right position but screwed up when I converted to bones and parented them!!! I HATE LW BONES!!! always have and always will!!!

Can someone explain the whole thing about resetting the rest posiotns etc, I dont get it and I get random results!!

The bone's rest position determines how the mesh is affected by it. It is the position at which the influence of the bone on the mesh is determined. Because LW's bones use distance from the bone to determine which points are affected and by how much by the bone, and bones can be animated to be at any position in the scene, LW needs to know which position to calculate the influence from. This is pretty much the same for any bone system, Maya has an equilvalent, C4d etc.

This means if your mesh is laid out with his arms outstretched, then your bones will need to have it's arms outstretched.

I find it best to leave your skeleton in it's rest position at frame 0, and not mess with it unless you're actually adjusting the skeleton. If you Reset the rotation/position of bones in your mesh, they'll go back to the rest position, so check this matches up to the shape of your mesh. If not, move your bones into the right position, then press 'r' to rest the bone, and it will remember this as the new rest position. If you do this at a frame other than 0, you'll have to remember to keyframe the bones as well, so it won't move them about. (though as I say, if you 'reset' the position/rotation of the bones, they should go to this rest position again.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7