Thread: Hypervoxel texture unstable

Hypervoxel texture unstable

Anyone know what I need to do to stop volumetric Hypervoxel textures from popping about & disappearing?

If I take away the texture, the Hypervoxel seems stable but whan I add the texture again after a few seconds into the anim the particles start popping in & out of different states, sometimes disappearing for a few frames etc. It's not all the Hypervoxels, maybe about 10% of them, which of course is just as unacceptable as all of them, but you know.
    "They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."

Particle lifespan? Falloff?

If the behavior you're describing starts about 2 seconds into the sequence, it may have to do with particle lifespan, which defaults to 60 frames. If you increase this, the particles will stick around longer. However, realize that this will increase computation time, since more particles will be retained and each will have its HV calculations to be performed.

Also, unless you've put some sort of falloff on the HV, it will pop out of existence instantly when the particle dies. You can add a Gradient Texture to one or more of the Shading options, specifying "Particle Age" as the input parameter and moving the value from 100% down to 0% over the lifespan of the particle, or as whatever curve you see fit. This will cause the texture to vanish gradually rather than abruptly.

mTp

Nah, I got the particles to live for 250 frames, and the Hypervoxels to last the lifetime of the particle. I want them around for the whole of the animation.

Its like, every now & then, one Hypervoxel looks as though it "skips" a few of its "frames" if you can imagine that. It only seems to apply to the Hypervoxel texture, not the Hypervoxel itself.
    "They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."

Quote Originally Posted by MonroePoteet
    If the behavior you're describing starts about 2 seconds into the sequence, it may have to do with particle lifespan, which defaults to 60 frames. If you increase this, the particles will stick around longer. However, realize that this will increase computation time, since more particles will be retained and each will have its HV calculations to be performed.

Also, unless you've put some sort of falloff on the HV, it will pop out of existence instantly when the particle dies. You can add a Gradient Texture to one or more of the Shading options, specifying "Particle Age" as the input parameter and moving the value from 100% down to 0% over the lifespan of the particle, or as whatever curve you see fit. This will cause the texture to vanish gradually rather than abruptly.

mTp
    Nope, that's useless. There are two bugs preventing this: LW does not carry true per particle lifespan info and Hypervoxels indeed have a problem with their coordinate system causing unwanted sudden changes in tecxture placement/ movement. Pick whichever you want to blame.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]