Thread: Bloody stupid question....

Bloody stupid question....

So, I'm using an HDRI image in Imageworld for some reflections ("AN" is right there, isn't it? I never know with H words) Anyway, reflections are fine, but the HDRI image is in the background (don't want it there, just the reflections) Am I using the image wrong? or is there another way to apply the image? New with HDRIs
    I'm sure I'm just not clicking something or whatever but can't see it from here

J-Rod

Lightwave is doing what its suppose to be doing. Its using the image has a background, which is what imageworld does.

If you dont want it to appear in the background there are a few things you could do. One, use the HDRI as a reflection map on the surface properties of your object (its on one of the tabs, dont have it open right now to tell you exactly what it is). Then you could take off the imageworld hdri.

Or you could just make a big sphere or a box and put it in layout around all your objects.

Or you could use a background image in the composite menu (I'm pretty sure that overrides the imageworld

Or you could, after rendering, use the alpha mask to replace the background.

I think thats all the ones I can think of

Nate

Thanks

Right on, threw somthing in as a BG image and did the trick. Thanks a bunch for the quick assist.

J-Rod

If you read "HDRI" as "AgeDeeArrEye," it should be "an HDRI." If you read it as "High Dynamic Range Image," it should be "a HDRI." I really don't think there is a set rule on how you should do grammar with abbreviations.

As for the solution, I'd recomend the first tip: in the environment tab in the materials manager, add the imageworld as a reflection map. It should work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lottmedia
    So, I'm using an HDRI image in Imageworld for some reflections ("AN" is right there, isn't it? I never know with H words) Anyway, reflections are fine, but the HDRI image is in the background (don't want it there, just the reflections) Am I using the image wrong? or is there another way to apply the image? New with HDRIs
    I'm sure I'm just not clicking something or whatever but can't see it from here

J-Rod
    Not a problem, Simple fix here.

a cat, a dog, an alligator, a can, an illogical question, a man, an igloo, an octopus, a bat, an assumption, get the rhythm. A before words that begin with consonants, an before words that begin with vowels.

Quote Originally Posted by vee
    Not a problem, Simple fix here.

a cat, a dog, an alligator, a can, an illogical question, a man, an igloo, an octopus, a bat, an assumption, get the rhythm. A before words that begin with consonants, an before words that begin with vowels.
    The problem is that if you say a word that begins with an 'h,' you say "a high dynamic...," since it is a consonant. But if you say it like the letter 'h,' it is a vowel (it sounds fairly similar to "age"), and it is thusly supposed to be "an HDRI."

Perpetual Newbie
    an herb
    an HDRI

Use "an" before words that begin with the sound of a vowel, and "a" before words that begin with the sound of a consonant.

Funny place to find a thread on English semantics.
    Last edited by Marcia; 02-20-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
    The problem is that if you say a word that begins with an 'h,' you say "a high dynamic...," since it is a consonant. But if you say it like the letter 'h,' it is a vowel (it sounds fairly similar to "age"), and it is thusly supposed to be "an HDRI."

Okay, it's been 20 or so years since I last sat in an english class, I swear you guys are
    "an hellish" group of critiques. Wait a minute that just doesn't sound right "a hellish" group of critiques…there that's better! But I do pronounce my hellish in the silent h style similar to the way Sean Connery might… So ill stick with the "an hellish" group o' critiques.
    Last edited by vee; 02-20-2005 at 12:25 PM.