Thread: Antialiasing and Motion Blur Tricks?

Antialiasing and Motion Blur Tricks?

I've seen lots of great LW artwork with perfectly smoothly rendered geometry edges and finely blurred motion blur.

Can anyone give me some tips and tricks for achieving better results?

When I set up motion blur is seems the faster my object moves the more stepping occurs. The only solution I've found is to adjust the MB setting as low as possible and render with a soft gaussian filter.

On the AA front is it just necessary to work in one of the "extreme" modes to get better geometry antialiasing?

In "1001 Lightwave tips" book one recommendation is to render at twice the size you want and scale the images down. Is that really the way most people work with LW?

BTW. I'm coming from a Maya background, so I'm used to an over abundance of controls for controlling this stuff. It seems the main controls for this are located in the Camera properties window only. Am I missing another panel somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by pantone
    In "1001 Lightwave tips" book one recommendation is to render at twice the size you want and scale the images down. Is that really the way most people work with LW?
    that tip, i think, is geared to getting better edges, not so much of motion blur.

in LW, there are two MB modes, normal and dithered. dithered produces less banding than normal.

BTW. I'm coming from a Maya background, so I'm used to an over abundance of controls for controlling this stuff. It seems the main controls for this are located in the Camera properties window only. Am I missing another panel somewhere?
    when it comes to AA and motion blur, yes, all in the camera panel. however, there is Vector Blur, which in principle is the same as Maya's 2D motion blur, is located at the Image Filter plugins section: Effects > Processing. you might find other plugins, like H/A (third party) and/or WaveFilter that uses post-processing to anti-alias edges.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Thanks for the reply.

I took a look at the Wavefilter plugin, but it doesn't appear to offer any standard AA settings.

Who makes the H/A filter?

wavefilter might only do blurs based on certain image buffers, like geometry data (e.g. normal information), which connote the possiblity of blurring silhouette-type edges. i havent tried it myself, though.

H/A image filter is done by the developer who develops unReal Extreme, the celshader and inkline filter. look at flay.com for more info. i dont have a link handy.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

FPrime can do almost perfect motion blurring. There are other limitations associated with FPrime (no volumetrics, no post-process image filters etc) but I expect in the near future these things will be fixed.
    "They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."

To get good motion blur without Fprime, render on Enhanced High with Adaptive sampling off, Extreme if neccessary - I tend to stay away from Dithered motin blur, it intrduces a little bit of noise but mostly because it takes so much longer to render.

Vector blur is smooth and fast to render, but of course always blurs in a straight line. It also can look bad if moving objects pass over each other.

I think rendering at double size is only a last resort, if extreme AA isn't enough.
    Confirmed -
    No Weapons of Mass Destruction
    or links to Al Queda or 9/11. (Sep. 2003)