Thread: how do I bend a capsule perfectly?

how do I bend a capsule perfectly?

okay, I have created a capsule that has 1m radius and is 10m long in modeller.

now, I want to bend this object so that it makes a perfect U shape (basically I want to create a 3D U with rounded ends).

How do I do this so that it is perfect?

Cheers in advance.

Not sure, but another approach would be to create a sphere, merge the lower polygons into one, extrude that polygon into the shape desired, then copy the remaining part of the sphere over to the new end.

yeah, but how do you extrude in a perfect arc?

You would create a path to extrude it along. I would probably start by drawing a disc with the radis I want where the arc will be, kill the polygon, delete the upper points, and use the remaining points to build the path. Haven't done this in a while...

Did this using Rail Extrude. You create the open curve in the background layer.
    Last edited by mattclary; 02-20-2009 at 11:38 AM.

excuse my noobistic knowledge, but how did you create the curve for the extrusion to follow?

oh, and thanks loads for the help!!

Any time! As I said before, you build the arc out of a disc. What I did to get the "arms" was to copy and paste the uppermost remaining points (think the tangency) in place, then (holding the CTRL key), I moved the copied points up. Now you will have points in the shape of the U. Now select the points in order from the top of one arm, down, and around. Once they are all selected, from the "Create" tab, pick "Make Open Curve".

You could also (in running with the sphere merge thingy) Once you have the bottom polys merged, you can extrude it, then lathe it 90 degrees and mirror it.

-Neil Nafus

this is why I believe LW needs better drawing tools, there SHOULD be an arc tool built in.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Damn good idea!

Arc Tool:
    Make a point = "+"
    Convert to poly = "p"
    Lathe it = "L"

If you want that double headed dildo look you could just bend a capsule :-) What are you trying to create anyway??

you could also make a torus (fancy name for donut), delete half, cap each end with half a sphere, then stretch to desired length.
    long live the machine