Thread: object skins

object skins

in visualisation projects you have to import again and again geometrical variations of an object into layout (especially when created with an external modeler like formz). in order to deal with the problem of rebuilding all the surfaces each time assigning the single surface presets, my suggestion would be to implement some sort of 'object skins'.

an object skin would contain the collection of all the surfaces associated with an object. in case you import a new geometry with the same surface assignments, it simply would need to reload the specific object skin of it.

would be nice to see this feature inside LW - but maybe this is an idea for some sort of third party plugin, too?? if you sell it one day, please send me a free copy

cheers

markus
    Last edited by 3dworks; 01-28-2005 at 03:13 AM.
    3dworks visual computing
    demo reel on vimeo
    instagram

OSX 10.12.x, macpro 5.1, nvidia gtx 980 ti, LW2015.x / 2018.x, octane 3.x

Mmmm...sounds like another surface editor request

Maybe we can have something like this image, if you double click on an object surface name a panel will appear where you can add multiple surfaces and the one on top is the one used in that render. Click ok once your done and a tick will appear next to the surface name indicating it has an object skin.

A black tick means the the object skin has just been added or changed and a grey one means the object skin hasn't changed since importing.

hope that makes sence.

Kuzey
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kuzey; 01-28-2005 at 04:19 AM.

You can save a surface library by right-clicking the object name in the surface editor, but the surfaces are loaded and applied in order, not by name, which is a bit silly imho...
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7