Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD Authoring Software

DVD Authoring Software

What DVD Authoring Software would you reccommend for use with VT3. I've noticed that a lot of applications wont accept the RTV format, and I have to convert it to AVI or WMV. Any help would be great. I'm looking for something inexpensive and fairly to use (high school students).

I prefer to use TMPGEnc 2.5 (Pegasys) to as my encoder. It will take a VT3 project directly (even with rtv's) and create very clean MPEG-2 files. Then I use DVD-Lab Pro (Mediachance) to author my DVD's. In my opinion, this is a very poweful, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive combination.
    Between the eyes and ears there lie the sounds of color and the light of a sigh.

Thee cool evening breezes of Anytown, USA
    Me too. And sometimes Encore.

TC User Group
    Depending on what you are doing with it, DVD Workshop ships with VT4. For the price of the upgrade you now have a DVD solution. If you hae to purchase DVD authoring software anyway now you have VT4 for a few extra $$.

Ivan

I use Adobe Encore 1.5 - however I don't have a VT but if it works with Encore then I would recommend this as it's very easy to use and gives good results.... but maybe it's not the cheapest option out there (although it was for me as it came free with my capture card!!).

Adrian.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

What do you guys/gals think of Sony (sound foundry) Vegas+DVD?
    for me the upgrade to their latest version 6 is a little more than the upgrade from Ulead's bundled SE version to full version.

i guess they are apples and oranges uh? if i was to upgrade i should just go for vegas6+dvd?

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.co...ct.asp?PID=967

I would vouch for Sony Vegas / DVD Architect for its ease of use and dependability.

Wess

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    For use with VT[3/4], I'd go with TMPGEnc to DVD Workshop 2...

BUT, if you're looking for an HDV and DV solution, Vegas 6+DVD Architect 3 is one of the best ways to go. I've also heard the quality is as good as TMPGEnc, though I haven't tested that yet myself.

When doing DVDs, an integrated solution is always the best bet, such as: Vegas suite, Adobe suite, Apple suite or even Ulead suite. That is the only way you will get things like markers to chapter points, which is a BIG time saver!
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Sure wish I could get more comparitive feedback from users of DVDlab Pro:

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/comparison.html

taiji,

I use it all the time. Do you have any specific questions? I tried Encore and Ulead each for a while but I didn't like their interfaces nearly as well so that's why I stayed with DVD Lab Pro. Its a fantastic program in my opinion. It seems to be capable of everything the other programs boast about.

They do have a full working 30 day trial. Try it.
    Between the eyes and ears there lie the sounds of color and the light of a sigh.

I guess the first question would be, "Why do you like it better than Encore or DVDWS?"

I'll try my best to explain but it has been over a year since I've even looked at the other two so I have few specific recollections.

My impression of Ulead DVD Workshop (it was ver. 1.2) was that the interface was totally funky. Nothing about it seemed intuitive. It seemed to have a forced linear workflow, with tabs representing the steps to building a DVD. If you wanted to work on a menu, you had to go to the menu tab and no longer see other parts of your project (video/audio clips, chapters, controls). I remember the chapter defining to be tedious. I don't want to bash the program too much as I know many people like it.

Encore is laid out like Photoshop. I know that sounds great to a lot of people but personally, I never liked it. I just found it tedious to be always clicking tabs of the different sub-windows. It may have a lot of capabilities but they seemed to be very hidden and I didn't feel like bothering to find them.

Which brings me to DVD-Lab. (I should probably be a spokesperson for them )
    • It will import Photoshop layers for menu building similar to Encore
    • It has very good tools within itself for building menus
    • Having 4:3 and 16:9 video on the same DVD is pretty straightforward. Most other programs can't do this.
    • Creating alternate playlists (having alternate buttons to play a movie in a different sequence or omitting chapters) is easy.
    • Motion menu creation is great.
    • It has direct support for the TMPGEnc AC-3 encoder. Meaning you can take a wav file generated by TMPGEnc 2.5 (which doesn't support AC-3) and encode it to AC-3.
    • Auto-chapter menus is a real cool feature that would take too long to describe here.
    • Will report errors if you have buttons not going anywhere or menus that can't go home (very handy in complex projects)
    • It imports timecode lists for chapters. Basically, I find chapter points in VT-Edit, type in the timecode into a text file, and DVD-Lab Pro will import the file and create the chapters.
    • It has the option to legalize your video.
    • And... I honestly don't think I have ever crashed the program.

Wow. You should be a spokesperson for them!!!

I've been using DVDWS, and it has done the job for basic stuff (a bit "clunkily" and with LOTS of crashes), but I'm looking for an app that will do a bit more.

I'm going to check out the demo...The timecode list import is good, and I've been looking for another "alternative" playlist solution, though I think you can do that with chapter links in DVDWS as well.

Thanks for the great feedback. I hope Channel 45 is still reading the thread!

authoring

Here I put the vtp in to tsunami for mpeg encoding.
    Usually I use custom i frame injection etc.
    then on to encore for most authoring. I really like the custom things I can do with menus. Just reauthored a couple of bruce lee movies (legal) for mas production.
    I can usually do with a single machine 7 to 8 titles per day. Yes I use batch encoding.
    For more complex titles I use scenarist or maestro. some titles I have done with every chapter returning to the button pushed for learning sign language asl.
    that disc had over 400 chapters. still with the fast work flow based on vt3 and 4.
    most jobs are done in encore. dvdworkshop just does not have the ease of flow.
    ac3 encoding is done in scenarist or encore
    Pete
    Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

And the approximate price tag on Scenarist or Maestro is.......?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast