Thread: Spine that curves like Scoliosis

Newbie Member

Spine that curves like Scoliosis

Hello all,

I have to create animation that takes a normal human spine curvature and bends it into several different curves to simulate the condition known as Scoliosis (curvature of the spine).

I'm a newbie to Lightwave and need help with this project.

I've created a model which is a series of 20 capsules connected to one another. I'm currently fooling around with the Bend Displacement function but cannot get the spine model to curve properly. I've added three sets of bend-bases and handles but when I try to manipulate the spine it does not bend properly, often distorting the capsules as the bend progresses.

The human spine does not work that way. There are discs in between the vertebrae where the "hinging" takes place. The vetebrae do not deform during the bending.

I found a model of the spine on the web but each vetebrae is connected to the others so they deform as the bending takes place.

I've fooled around with skelegons but the combination of understanding how that works along with getting used to the user interface is an uphill battle. I need to deliver this to the client soon.

Can anyone help me out with some suggestions? Or refer me to a tutorial that will help.

Thanks.

If you don't want the capsules deforming, you should split them up into different layers and parent them together in a hierachy, then use maybe keyframing to bend them into a shape you want?
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Perhaps this will help.

And of course, this.

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

I would use IKBooster. It handles long bone chains very nicely.