Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VT4 & SP1 still locks constantly

VT4 & SP1 still locks constantly

Paul or someone! Do you know the reasons for VT4 locking up when dragging clips to timeline? If not you need to tell us to go back and uninstall VT4 To go back to VT3 until it is fixed. Please let us know. VT3 did not lock up like this. It seems to be about every 10 to 15 minutes for me. Also the cg crashes the toaster when you backspace across most lines of text. What changed there from VT3 to VT4. We need to know what to do. This is not the time to keep quiet. WE need to know now what you are doing about this.
    Dispite popular belief, Digital does not mean quality.

AS for lock ups with drag and drop...VT3 had just as many crashes as I've seen with VT4 infact I've seen more with VT3 than with VT4...but I do agree that what ever it is needs to be tracked down and squashed.

FOr me it isn't just with TED...but anywhere I use drag and drop....
    There seems to be an intermittent that causes errors and lockups etc...when doing so in the UI.

At least that is what I've found out...

Please those that are having the most lockups...try this instead of drag and drop....

try just RMB click and copy the file then Paste it into the timeline...

Try this on projects that have been issues for you and see if you get the same frequency of lockups....

This can help to find out if it the clips and materials..an app issues or drag and drop operational issue..(be it with graphics drivers or what ever)....

Let us know what you find out...

Cheers,
    Ray Adams
    FX and Production Supervisor

XDCAM HD production ScorpioProd's Avatar
    Before VT[4], I used to have drag and drop problems with groups of AVI clips, but that seems to have been fixed as of VT[4] for me, BUT...

As of VT[4]SP1 I get a number of lockups when dragging and dropping ONE or a group of still JPG images into VT-Edit. I'm positive it is happening more for SP1 with my system than before.

Still JPGs are a normal part of what I do, from my digital still camera or from my scanner. And VT[4] claims to support the JPG format properly.

Luckily, my lockups with them are intermittent, so as long as I save frequently and use the undo stack, I don't lose much in a lockup.

But still, this does need to be fixed by Newtek.

I will try your suggestion Ray.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

I Totally agree with you Eugene...

And we and NT needs to know if it is a source issue, codec/image format, application/driver issue, or operational issue (drag and Drop)...and since this is intermittent..even thou it occurs quit often....we need to try to isolate it for NT to squash it...

For those with these lockups...try to see if you have a clip type that always locks up the system...and do as I asked....copy / paste....what happens?

Try to keep little notes of what types of clips caused it....

and note the Gaphics card and driver revision.

I too want to nail this puppy...but I think it will take all of us to help bash this nasty...

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

Has anyone gotten lockups when dragging projects or subs into DDRs from TED?

Or when trying to drag a clip ontop of another clip to inherit the other clips settings?

I have...and which is another reason..I have concerns for the drag and drop operations...in VT...

When I copy/paste I have little to no issues...it only seems to be with drag and drop...

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

In regards to your question about drag and drop of projects, I had an actual CRASH today when I dragged and dropped a sequence from one VT-Edit into another VT-Edit session.

I re-did the same operation with a copy and paste operation and it worked correctly.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

Can you reproduce the crash or lock up with the same project when dragging and dropping?

If so...get this to NT ASAP...

I have had myself the same thing but it would crash or lockup VT about every 10th time or so...and it wasn't consistent...

I did have a client who had a folder full of various clips and codecs....and if we selected all and then dragged and dropped about every third time it would crash or lock up VT....BUT if we copied and pasted it would turn for a minute or two but then would work without crashing or locking up....

If you dragged and dropped each clip indivitually or in small groups 2 -4 clips...all was fine...but 20 or more would lock up...

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

raises hand, hey im great at crashing the system. is this somthing i should br proud of?
    [B]VT4LIFE[/B]

In my case...
    There is no rhyme or reason, (that I have found).
    It happens at random when I "Drag and Drop" a file to TED.
    It has happened on .rtv's, .png's and .wav files.
    It has happened when dragging from the Video Array as well as a system or data drive.
    It happens about 2-3 times per 8-hour session. Usually doing about 50-75 drag and drops per session.

Task Manager needs 2 to 3 attempts to close VT4. Then I'll kill winrtme and be fine for several more D&D's???

I don’t' have much else on my system but VT4, DVD workshop, Photoshop which I almost never use on this system and Norton which I won't have a computer without Norton installed.

I even avoided installing Bob's plug-ins on SP1, (sorry Bob), to no avail.
    I've defragged, system checked and the only new addition is VT4 SP1.
    I don't think I ever got it on VT2 or 3.

I have Direct X C or 3, (the latest).
    My NVIDIA Card only has 64 mg's. I have heard that NewTek now recommends 128???

I have a dual 2.2 Super Micro MB with 1 Gig of ram.

Keep the info coming. It seems there are a large handful of people out there experiencing the same thing. Odly enough, many people are not getting it???
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

TC User Group
    I have the 128meg NVidia and 2 gigs of memory. I experience this as well but shut down via ctrl-V-T works in one attempt. I do have Bob's plugins installed and they work fine. I think many are experiencing it and like me not saying anything because I edit alone mostly and a quick reboot of VT is part of the day, I hardly think about it because I save often and haven't really lost anything.

Ivan

Please realize this is not just an issue for post users...who can recover in many situations...with a quick reboot and reload...

But for LIVE production this is a KILLER and can really screw up a setup and settings...I have had on occasion had to reset all configs in VT and even power down and then power back up...I even had a lockup that required me to re configure VT...so this is NOT something that can be accepted....

The only work around I've found so far is to NOT drag and drop...

but drag and drop comes so easy and natural...and has so many benefits for both LIVE and POST...but with the flakiness it has..makes it mostly a bomb waiting to go off..

Cheers,
    Ray Adams

I do get many times more crashes when I have ToasterEdit on my Right monitor. I have experimented and find I have very few crashes while dragging clips to TEd when my ToasterEdit module is on my Left monitor. Does anyone see the same results or am I just crazy, or maybe both. Has anyone else having a lot of crashes checked to see if they are mostly on their right monitor or left?
    Dispite popular belief, Digital does not mean quality.

Mine is on the right monitor.
    I'll try it on the left for tomorrow's session.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

As Ray says, this is a fatal problem in LIVE use.

But for POST, as Ivan points out, I wouldn't think many of us would necessarily complain about this since it IS intermittent and we can recover.

I wouldn't have posted about it if others hadn't started the thread.

Frankly, I don't expect any NLE system to be totally rock solid and free from any lockups or crashes ever, experience has shown me this is never really true.

That said, I think we have all pointed out enough issues with drag and drop that Newtek should look into it. It is their product, and they know how it works better than we do.
    Eugene
    Scorpio Productions

I've been out of town for a few days, but I'm one of the ones who started this thread two or three weeks ago.

I never had Drag and Drop problems before VT4. Toaster Edit is always on the left screen and my Filebin is on the right, so I am D & D'ing across monitors.

It is intermittent and it is an annoyance and I agree I can survive. But it would be nice to have it fixed.

And I do have 128mb on the graphics card.

Dick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast