Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying new g5

buying new g5

Hi, I'm about ready to purchase a new g5 2.5 gig machine and had two questions. First, when is the 3gig machine expected, and which video card is the best performing card. My main interest is tweaking the most performance out of Lightwave3d. Has Apple given up on the 3 gig? They may as well!

Most processor makers have put the megahertz race "on hold" for a short while, as they're putting their priorities into getting a dual-core processor to market, which will give them more of a boost than a few megahertz will.

Why not wait around about 2 hours and see what Steve Jobs has to say at MacWorld?
    Moral of the day:
    Worry about your own morals, not someone else's!

When was the 3ghz expected? Last summer

Yeah, wait and see today. I have one and I like it, just don't get the nvidia ultra card.
    I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra
    When was the 3ghz expected?......
    Hmmm...roughly the same time the 4 GHz Pentium was promised

G% Duals

All I can say is that the Dual G5 2.5 Ghz is truly very enjoyable with lightwave but I have never used a PC so from a Macs point of view it is very enjoyable.

Could only encourage you to get one. But they do cost a lot.

5 Video card

Which video card would be my best bet. I'm leaning towards the ATI 9800 pro 256 card. Will the X800 be available from Apple?

G5

I have the 256megs ATI card and the 128 megs card never really noticed the difference as for the X8000 card I know nothing about it.

I always found it slow for loading the presets when they load up.

Hope this helps , although wowow look at the apple new mini G$ looks cool,

A G5 mini would be great. What a tiny renderfarm they would make! Sadly, just G4, right?
    I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence

G$ Farms

You know thats exactly what I was thinking, What a very cool looking render farm, alas only G4's though.

I have already seen the macs being called "The Headless Mac"

Newbie Member
    If you can wait just a bit, there are expected to be speed bumps in the G5 line this month. Probably not to 3GHz, but maybe 2.8. This may not seem like much, but the new machines may have other tweaks, and maybe the ATI X800 will be available as a BTO option. I'm also in the market for a new machine, but the need is not immediate, so I will wait out the monh to see what happens. I would just hate to buy a new machine only to have updated ones available the week after for the same price I paid.

Lou

I ordered my G5 2x2,5GHz machine on June 30th last year (!!) and I still haven't received it, and Apple can't (won't?) give my reseller any delivery date. Even my reseller is pissed (an understatement to say the least) at Apple these days...

If you're getting a new Mac I'd go for something that is in stock and not "soon to be released". "Soon" can be "next year" in the way Apple calculates delivery time...
    Arne Kaupang -- [URL="http://www.akdesign.no"]www.akdesign.no[/URL] -- [URL="http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/313948"]Check out my LW girl "Amber" on Turbosquid[/URL]

self flagellating LW monk
    A G5 mini would be great. What a tiny renderfarm they would make! Sadly, just G4, right?
    ok lets do some math...

g5 2.5 dual = $3k from apple without tweaks.

g4 mini = 500 straight from apple, without tweaks

for $3000 you could buy... 6 minis.
    I don't have them in front of me, but I guess that 6 minis render quite a bit faster than 1 g5 2.5 dual. G4 or not. but thats just one of a few points.

1. the minis can be stored in shoeboxes. or other very small places
    2. your not paying for extras that a blind render node wont use (graphics, large Hard drive, pci slots)
    3. minis do the rendering while your machine keeps on letting you do other stuff.
    4. the minis getting slow? for minimal price you could add more. the more you have the faster it renders.

think of minis as processor Add ons for your main computer, that sit on the network... sure they are 'only' g4s but they are also inexpensive, small, cluster-able (though that's not a help with screamernet), and capable of handling 'together' what 1 g5 might not be able to do 'as well'.

This sucker aint no cube. its darned useful. people are freaking out over its application... High end dvd player (the dvi needs a simple converter to be able to drive a Hidef monitor in its native formats), IN Dash music system (thats right they are putting them in cars, in place of the radio), mini servers for home networks...

I am an advocate for putting the old mac into the farm and getting new... but these minis are amazing.

take two they're small.
    Last edited by eblu; 01-13-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Yeah, fine, so you can use them as dvd players and all that. Great.

Sure, 6 minis same as 1 dual 2.5 in price. But I don't like purchasing computers that are already at the end of their line. You'll never be able to upgrade them. Never.
    Even at $500 a pop, I feel like it's wasteful to buy something I probably won't hold on to for more then a year or so.

The $500 is for the 1.25ghz? From my experience, my dual 2.5 generally renders about 4x faster then my 1 ghz G4. But you know what I'll be doing with that G5 in a couple of years? Upgrading it.

Hey, the mini is nice and cute and they'll no doubt sell a bunch like they do ipods and imacs. All that fattens the coffers of Apple and makes it stronger so hurray for that.

I almost forgot - ram. You have to buy ram for those minis, and that ram is also ram you'll never use again for anything else. So let's see, what was that now? 6 minis x ram (only comes with 256mb) = ? Well, you do the math.

The $500 is for the 1.25ghz? From my experience, my dual 2.5 generally renders about 4x faster then my 1 ghz G4. But you know what I'll be doing with that G5 in a couple of years? Upgrading it.
    You can upgrade the Mini, too. Add more of them. It's a great cluster computer. You can pack it with greater density than the Xserves, for a lower cost.

Instead of ten Xserves (cluster nodes), you can have 100 Mac Minis. That's 125GHz of G4 instead of 46GHz of G5. They're $399 per GHz, instead of $652 per GHz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast