Thread: Was the Matrix a rip-off?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Custom User Title
    Terrific that the woman`s finally getting compensated. Terrible that it took so long and that this is the first we`ve heard of the case!

You can say that again! Thanks for posting this, Matt.
    Regards,

Norman Austin
    naustin1126(AT)sbcglobal.net

That could explain why Reloaded and Revolutions sucked. Perhaps all of the good ideas had already been used on the first one.

If I find out that 'Bound' ( http://imdb.com/title/tt0115736/ ) was ripped off also, I'll lose all respect for the Wachowski brothers because anyone who knows enough to make a lesbain love scene between Jennifer Tilly and Gina Gershon, they're pure genius as far as I'm concerned.

Too bad you are living "behind the horizon" in the US. It's a shame how many good European and other foreign movies/ books/ story concepts get re-made by Hollywood and are totally ruined. I do not necessarily mean rip-offs, but even a lot of properly licensed stuff simply cannot hold up to the original, once it's been "americanized".

As far as for the "Matrix" case, I'm not too sure that it could be seen as a rip-off, though. The lady just provided some ideas and the film writers still had to structure them and fill them with live. It would be hard for anyone to prove or disprove any copyright infringements - she could claim the Matrix to be this greenish world we all see on screen but one cannot look into her head. She could just as well have imagined it as a lilac world with people walking upside down. So perhaps her compensation might not ba as well deserved and more a means of silencing her before more damage is done. Anyway, I never had much respect for the Wachowskys - too much blahblah about technicalities and pseudo-philosophical ideas.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

This if found to be true is would explain a lot and would also
    be a true shame. This also could be internet folk lore or something.
    Wonder which it is or why it hasnt ended up in main line articles.

The last 2 in the series were not good and felt like they came from
    a different mold. But the same could be said of the Lord of the
    Rings where the first had great story unfolding the second went
    Hollywood (a 5 page battle was most of the movie)
    and the third was OK but I am not sure it followed the
    book as I only have fragments of it left in my mind.
    (should slow down to read I guess)

Bob
    bobt_at_bobfx_com
    www.bobfx.com
    Bob Tasa

Quote Originally Posted by hrgiger
    That could explain why Reloaded and Revolutions sucked.
    Oh man, you got that right. The Matrix didn't even need a sequel; it finished on the perfect note as far as I'm concerned.
    STUDIO DRAVEN
    Building giant robots since 1996
    Intel Core i7 950
    6Gb RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 9800GT
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by WizCraker
    Plagiarizing the Bible would that be considered a Sin?
    From a religious standpoint, that would depend a lot on your interpretation of Exodus 20:15 and Leviticus 19:11.

Legally, since it is my understanding that the Bible is in the public domain, whether or not it would be prosecutable is in question. However, you yourself referred to it as plagiarism, and this would carry penalties with any educational institution or professional organization.

Did the Wachowski brothers co-opt her work? I don't know. I'd need to see more than the few pages of her manuscript in the slide show to make a decision. All I see right now is some similar concepts, but those concepts could also be found a number of other places. I do agree that the evidence so far raises a number of questions that need to be answered. Did she co-opt the work of others? After seeing the few pages in the slideshow, I would say "yes". Either way, point was and is that her ability to prosecute a successful case that she may be a victim of plagiarism will be made somewhat more difficult by the fact that she has done the same in her own work.

That was by far the best post I've read on this site. Wow Thx. But not so much from the stand point of weather she wrote the Matrix or not. All though personally I feel she did. But rather more from the fact that up until tonight I hadn't heard a word of this. So this proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Timewarner is far to large for our own good. They simply can't be trusted to report the News. How ever I don't blame them for sitting on this story. If I was Timewarner and something like this came out. I sure as hell wouldn't want anyone to know about it. It is just not in there best interest to do so. How ever they own 95% of the News market. So where else can one go to get reliable news?

Harry Houdini

P.S.
    makes one wonder what else Timewarner is not telling us?
    Last edited by Harry Houdini; 12-29-2004 at 06:34 AM.