Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grapheditor freezes up machine? Am I the only one?

Grapheditor freezes up machine? Am I the only one?

Ok, twice to 3 times a day, when working in LW 8.0.1's Grapheditor,

my system freezes up totally!

It starts with a spinning beachball, that keeps spinning, but eventually stops spinning, and then there is the grey overlay telling me in 4 languages to restart my system by holding the powerbutton for 10 seconds...

I have a dual G5 2.0, with an nVidia 6800 ultra. I recon it has something to do with this card, since Grapheditor problems mostly have something to do with opengl and thus the graphic card..

are there other peeps around who have the same problem?

It's not that big of a timewaster, but I'm afraid that eventually, I will lose some data with these cold reboots...
    __________________________________________________ _

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

Cocktail me!
    That's a kernel panic. Since getting my 6800 I've not yet had one with the graph editor. Check your crash log maybe? That's a pretty serious error.

Where do I find my crashlog?

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

Cocktail me!
    You can use Console to see it (in Applications/Utilities) the look under ~/Library/Logs on the right side. Hope that helps you out a little!

Ge4-ce you might want to use the Disc Utility app and repair permissions. always a good idea when you've just installed a new app or upgrade etc.
    Her hair glistened in the rain like nose hair
    after a sneeze.

Kernel panic is usually a hardware issue - bad RAM, bad card... or, you have Norton on your system...

Although besides Norton, Lightwave has been amazing in its ability to do the impossible and lock up OS X. I don't have it happen often (usually in cahoots with FPrime) but it always amazes me when it does, given OS X's stability.

I did a hardware test in the beginning, and everything was just fine. I use a lot of other apps as well, (and play a lot of games when I have time) so, the machine and the card has been fully tested...

I only have problems with LW, and then just the Graph editor..

I repaired permissions,.. As for now, I have worked all day, without a problem.. It is just not predictable...

Just wait and see I think

LW does have a reputation of screwing things up... (but it is an app that asks a lot of you system as well, I guess..)

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

yep, same here...

...system lockup using GE, and rendering too sometimes. LW is the ONLY app I've ever come across that freezes OSX. I'm using a G5 dual 1.8, 1.5GB RAM, and nVidia 5200. Like you say it's likely the card with GE, but that doesn't explain the rendering hang. I thought apps were'nt allowed to do that to the OS?? What are Newtek doing, it's like 5.6 all over again!

I also get a system error saying Layout has Quit, when I quit it. Lots of other weirdness too, including display errors in Modeler where views will go black, or pink, at a certain zoom level.

Yep, I feel ya! Same here..

Weird viewport things,.. Blacks, pink, ...

Crashes of Layout: too much

I can do my work, but I think that every day, I at least loose half an hour with this sh*t...

Let's hope 8.2 fixes some bugs..

Today, there was also news on the upcoming 10.3.7 update. (due to release somewhere in the next 3 to 4 weeks?) it has improved openGL drivers and improved drivers for ATI and Nvidia drivers...

I DO hope I get the performance I asked for (Ultra 6800 card) and less display problems..

However... I only seem to have problems with LW but since that's the main app I use day-in day-out,,... that's the one I complain about

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

You are not alone,

I had a kernel panic today when I hit add key frame in the graph editor, preceded by a huge slowdown in lightwave and I have a dual 2.5 G5 with 4.5 ghz of ram and yes you guessed it a 6800 ultra and while it's not all the time I am getting the 'pinkies' in layouts viewports. Fortunatly it's not everyday and the crash was only the once (ie: today)

hopefully the clever people will fix it.

regard

paul

G5 2.5dp 4.5 ghz ram nvidia 6800 ultra 30" HD cinema display 17" apple display
    Mac Pro 2 x 3.2ghz Quad core Intel Zeon 4GB ram Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

this is my profile

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/comm...baguley/1.html

Hmm.. there seem to be some issues with errors in the master plugin editor..

If you import objects from scene a lot, or Open up spreadsheet or scene editor, there are way more plugins listed in the master plugin editor then should be!

(I had 25 times spreadsheet, and 25 times Sceneeditor) these scenes took forever to load! when I deleted these plugins, (this does not harm your scene) Saving was a gazillion times faster (instant) and loading was also a lot faster...

And something tells me that the instability also has something to do with this... Since I deleted these plugins.. Everthing ran a lot smoother..

The OpenGL problems, are still there however..

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

Newbie Member
    More confirmation,

I just got my new system and I've got the same graph editor problem. Spinning beachball then kernel panic. Not happy, this is really going to suck.

G5 2.5DP/3.5G RAM/nVidia 6800 GT/30" display/10.3.7, LW 8.0.1

Did you check the master plugin settings?

Empty those and things are a lot more stable...

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

By the way Ge4-ce, if you get Lean Clean Scene Machine, it can optimise your scenes for far more than just Master Plug-ins - and can even speed up rendering. You can get it from our interview with Kevin Phillips: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/comm...hillips/3.html

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

Yes.. i tried that.

It works.

A good plugin..

Koen Delbroek
    D4motion
    www.d4motion.be
    [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast