Thread: cloth FX so slow as to be useless

Angry cloth FX so slow as to be useless

I'm trying out cloth FX for a character model. I've been too busy since LW[ait] came out to give it a proper kick around, but the project I'm working on now really needs it.

So I started with some cloth on my character model, but have simplified it to the point where I'm trying to get a single strip of three polygons to interact with a six sided cube, just so I could get the fershnuggerfgin thing to work.

And still I'm looking at the beachball for minutes per frame. And this thing is supposed to be fifteen seconds long.

So how is it ever going to be of any use for doing what I want it to do: create some clothing with dynamic motion, gravity and wind. Am i going to have to invest in a couple of Cray supercomputers just to get the dynamics calculations done sometime within a week?

Is this the whiz bang new feature that took NT sooo loong to release? I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.
    2 × Xeon 2690 - 20 cores @ 3GHz, 2 × NVIDIA GeForce Titan Black 6GB, 64GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro
    MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7 2.6Ghz, El Capitan

nerdiness and free stuff at my blob

The dynamics work fine. Heres some things Ive done lately with them and these almost calculate in real time:
    http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/tentacles. mov
    and
    http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/meteor.mov

What is it that youre trying to do?

I've got a figure which i want to be facing into the wind, so his hair and clothes are blowing around. I've set up some hair on his head using strips of polygons anchored at the scalp, which colide with his scalp.

I stupidly started out with the full head of hair and the full body object, but gradually simplified them right down to box and single strip of hair, but it still wasn't getting faster.

I've finally got soemthing to work to the point where I can start fiddling with the dynamics controls, but I had to restart lightwave & modeller, and start with a completely new scene. Now it seems to be working fine. Maybe dynamics doesn't take account of updates from modeller quickly enough..
    2 × Xeon 2690 - 20 cores @ 3GHz, 2 × NVIDIA GeForce Titan Black 6GB, 64GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro

There's definitely something wrong there, a box and strip of polys should be zipping along in real time. Could you post your cut down scene?
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Well it's working ok now - something just seems to have gone wrong with the dynamics that only killing off the scene could fix. It's hard when you don't quite know what yr doing when things go wrong like that.

I left it calculating a full head of hair (just gravity so far, no wind yet) on Fri night, it was doing reasonably well - about 5-10 minutes per frame, so on monday I'll post a test render with luck.
    Last edited by stib; 11-05-2004 at 06:11 AM.

Yes, sometimes it can glitch but moves along quickly when it coughs up that furball