Thread: Morphing with a gradient or texture?

Morphing with a gradient or texture?

Can I morph to objects into each other in a way that the morph starts at one end of the object with 0% while the other end is already 100% transformed. I'd like to use a gradient or texture for the morph amount, but don't think it's possible.

Anyone a guess?

Have a nice sunday evening.
    Thomas

You can do it by using normal displacement which is built into LW.

Or for far more control and options, buy a plugin called Smartmorph

hello Larry, I've tried normal Displacement based on a morph controlled by a gradient with distance from an object.... but nothing is happening... what am I doing wrong...? do U know...?

Thnaks if U could just orient me a bit....

BTW gradients controlling the size over time of particles (T button - in the emitter panel) also based on distance from object does not work .... or am I dumbo...?

Hey Herve,
    Without seeing your scenefile I couldnt guess what you might have done wrong.
    You have an object with a morph and you apply normal displacement to it. You select morphmap and the name of the map. You then go into the texture panel and apply your gradient. Its pretty much that easy.

As far as you particle size goes you do that in the HV panel. Particle size in the emitter panel controls the collision zone around each particle. The size control in the HV panel controls the size of the HVs.

Okeyyy... I was doing right so... but controlling size particles in HV is fine... except i wont use HV here, but the FX_Linker panel to replace each particle with a small cube... what I was expected was to do the ramp size in the emitter.... and then click the option Size effect in the FX_Linker panel , because I need the cubes to go from small (pre-behavior is fine but it just dissolve the cubes before they are emit) to big as they are furtehr away from their emitter....

I've tried Normal displacement like you said (exactly), in fact before FX_Linking the particles with the cube object, I applied normal displacement to it... but here again setting a gradient for the morph does not work...

Thanks a lot Larry for helping....

I've found this in the docs.... about normal displacement....

Now why is that what I need is always broken...

"A cool trick would be to use a gradient texture with Distance to Camera or Distance to Object set as the Input Parameter. The gradient could just be a ramp from 100 percent to 0 percent. Then, you can cause a morph to occur based on the distance to the object or camera"

As far as I know Lightwave's Normal Displacement's MorphMap feature works just fine.

The only thing that I've noticed is that it freezes up Layout when you apply it to an object with a high polycount which can be prevented by first applying it to a Null, changing the Displacement Direction settings to Morphmap instead of the default Normals and then copy and paste the plugin to the actual object after which you can delete the Null.

This will prevent Layout from freezing if that's your problem.

hope this helps.

Normal displacement works fine with distance based gradients for me too
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Nope, I've tried all I could think of.... no go... at least it does not work with morph and a gradient... sorry...

Could you put something very simple together just so I see what am I doing wrong... but I doubt...

OK it works.... but just not the way I expected.... thanks.... holly LW'ers...