Thread: Just getting started

Talking Just getting started

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to 3d animation. And currently as a graphic artist I do work on 3d graphics specifically with Photoshop and Illustrator but the business that I work for is going to be doing a TV series and I am being commissioned to do some basic 3d animation similar to Broadcast graphics work. I will be using Adobe After Effects but also I am scouting out good 3d modelling, rendering, and animation programs to use as well.

I do have a limited budget (around $2000) so Maya and 3DS is too much. Plus I'm a beginner and those programs may be too much for me now.

Do any of you have suggestions of where I should start? How is lightwave as far as intuitiveness and ease of use. Also is the modeller good to use? I've worked some on Rhino3d modeller which I loved. Is the Lightwave modeller as good?I was also looking at Electric Image Universe since it's around the same price ($1500). I've heard that IEU animator boasts that it's the fastest and one of the best renderers around. How is Lightwave compared to this?

I probably won't be doing any character animation right now, but mostly TV broadcast graphics and realistic settings like a dark studio or desk or maybe a cityscape and then animate it.

Also is the water rendering realistic? I looked at plugins such as Psunami for IEU and After Effects. I want to be able to render water and fire elements very realistically.

I know I'm scouting, I'm just trying to get the best for my buck.

Thanks for listening to a newbie and if you have any tips or suggestions please let me know!

-Dale

While I don't claim to be an LW person, my bet would be to go with LW.
    It's as close to an industry standard as you can get for Broadcast.

Besides, it's a NewTek product and you can't get user support for your learning curve any better.

I do recommend including a couple good books in the budget. Dan Ablan has some good stuff, and I’m sure there are many more. We have Dan’s books here.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Talking

Yes I noticed that the support and help for Lightwave outdoes EIU so much.

How's the render speed with LW?

I've also noticed quite alot of models you can import into LW, whereas the modeller on EIU you can't import really anything.
    That's something I want to do is to be able to import. If I also get Rhino I would like to import it into Lightwave too.

Keep the comments coming