Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with computer noise

Dealing with computer noise

Just got myself a new whiz-bang computer (dual xeon) to replace my ageing P4. It's great, but there's always a but. I work in a fairly small space and the fans on those xeon's are LOUD. They run fairly hot, so there's no way to cut down the fan speed without melting something (like my wallet).

So finally, here's the questions - anyone else have the same problem? Have you made it better? Willing to share things that work or don't?

Waiting to read, cause I can't hear -
    Lew

VT[5] SpeedEdit Pilot Jim Capillo's Avatar
    Gloucester, MA - The Home of the Perfect Storm
    There are a couple of water cooled solutions, as well as sound deadining enclosures......

You're not alone - my dual Xeon sounds like a Learjet
    Jim Capillo

CW Television Productions
    100 Cummings Center, Suite 309-G
    Beverly, MA 01915

www.cwtvproductions.com

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    The easiest thing to do...

replace the stock fans, they must be the loudest fans I've ever heard in my life...

You can get some low-noise fans for roughly 15€ or so, 60mmx60mmx25mm is the size you're looking for, they should be three pin so the motherboard can control them and should do 40-60 m³/h to be on the safe side.
    I replaced mine using a bunch of Papst fans. I had to tweak the fan a bit to make the mounting holes a bit wider, but then I could just snap them on the stock coolers.
    If you want to spend some more money get different coolers.
    Depending on your case and board you could also buy 2 60mm->80mm adapters, and mount 80mm fans, they tend to be more quiet as well.

Cheers,
    Mike

fans

there are fans that are quiet
    Available from MBX.com
    my machine is now quiet
    Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    I have found the Vantec Silent edition fans work great to replace the stock fans in many cases. I keep several on hand for just that reason.

We also have installed fan controllers like from Thermaltake that allow you to monitor the temperature in the case and dynamically control the speed/noise output of the fans inside. Some of the loudest fans are the ones on the Xeon chips themselves.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Learjet user, all i want is peace and quiet

Back in the Moutains on the Canadian border surounded by Deer, Quail, little Bunnies, clean water, air with real oxygen, the toe-headed offspring of the pioneers who settled up here, the neighbor's Milk Cows and Jillions of tiny Chipmunks. Whoo Hoo
    Start having migraines. The tinnitus will block it out!!!

Last edited by sbrandt; 09-16-2004 at 02:53 AM.

Interesting....I have dual Zeons and loud fans but I seldon hear them. They are drowned out by the cash register noise.

Rock on T3
    If it's taking you longer than an hour to watch 60 minutes...you need help

I guess I'm glad to "hear" that this is a somewhat common problem. Thanks for all the hepfull insights. Looking into some different fans, will let everyone know what happens when I change them out.
    Thanks for all the replys,
    Lew

obfuscated SDK hacker Lightwolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayLarson
    Interesting....I have dual Zeons and loud fans but I seldon hear them. They are drowned out by the cash register noise.
    Lol, you make plenty of pennies then, ey?
    Our customers pay by money transfer, so I can hear the Xeons

Is the Zeon a processor version for Rastafarians, yo man ?

Cheers,
    Mike

Newbie Member
    I cut a small hole through the drywall and ran 25 ft. cables from my basement editing room into the closet of an adjoining room (utility). The tower sits in that closet on padded cement blocks. It's cool in that room and I now hear nothing from the drives or fans.
    Chris

I take my VT with 2 lumps JReble's Avatar
    Yeah, well I built a 4 foot thick cement vault in the floor of my edit room, installed my editor in it, routed my control and monitor cables through 4 1-inch conduits and poured 280lbs of concrete on top. Then I placed a thick rubber pad and hard wood floors on top. Now I don't hear my editor at all. I do keep hearing the faint sound of a beating heart coming from under the floorboards however. Wait, it's getting a little louder. Funny that it's....wait...there it is again, it's getting louder still.

JReble, GET OUT! GET OUT NOW!!!

No wait, that's just your A drive trying to find that disk you lost several years ago.

Hope you don't have to reload anytime soon.

Back in the Moutains on the Canadian border surounded by Deer, Quail, little Bunnies, clean water, air with real oxygen, the toe-headed offspring of the pioneers who settled up here, the neighbor's Milk Cows and Jillions of tiny Chipmunks. Whoo Hoo
    NEVERMORE!
    Reble, you're a funny guy!

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JReble
    I do keep hearing the faint sound of a beating heart coming from under the floorboards however. Wait, it's getting a little louder. Funny that it's....wait...there it is again, it's getting louder still.
    The tell tale hard drive, eh?

"You should seen it; you should have seen his eye reflecting in the light!"
    "Time code is an elfin ghost that lives in your skull."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast