Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SDI issues

Exclamation SDI issues

I purchased a Toaster about one month ago. I also purchased the SDI option as well. So far I am loving the toaster BUT the SDI board seems to be a little behind the times and may cost me a lot of money.

The problem is a simple one: The SDI option board on the toaster has an input for video and a separate input for audio. This is cool EXCEPT that most of the decks and cameras that are using SDI multiplex the video and audio on the SAME signal...

There is no connection for that on Newtek's SDI board.

Oops..

So I called Newtek Tech Support and told him the problem. His words: "uh yeah, you gotta go to radio shack and get a splitter."

"A splitter?" I said.

"Yeah a splitter".

I had the sneaking suspision this guy did not know his bottom from a hole in the ground but since I was as unsure as I suspected he was, I said thanks and hung up. (This was the first time I had ever called Newtek tech support with such poor results, after some research I now believe the kid had NO IDEA of what he was saying).

For those of you that need to know: I am told you have to have something called a De-Embedder. This will split the signal so Newtek's option board can take both audio and video into each of their connections. At this time I have a quote for one and it costs more than the Toaster did. (About $2,600.)

If this is the case then I think the toaster's SDI board is not such a good deal after all... Can I still return it?

One glimmer of hope: I noticed there is another connection on Newtek's SDI board that's called "RESERVED".. Any hope this could be for a dual audio/video signal? I sure hope so.

Feedback and advice would be wonderful.

Jay Kelley

Wow.

That worries me. We bought T[2] about two months ago (with SDI at our engineer's request) and haven't used it yet. I hope the "RESERVED" is our (yours and our) salvation.

Dan

I knew this going in and I'm still glad I got it. I love having the ability to go back and forth between my edit systems without loss.

While I agree the SDI card should have the Audio, I'm still glad I got one now.

I "gently" suggest that you research anything before buying it.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Thanks Ted

Your letter will be give all the consideration it deserves.

Jay

Most Decks (sony,Panasonic, JVC, ect) with SDI send Video SDI and use AES/Ebu for audio. Use SDi for video only and xlr's for audio until Newtek figures it out. If you can hear the difference between Sdi audio vs analog your lying. You can see it on a scope but can not hear the difference. As video goes, you can see it with your eyes. Iv'e asked this ? many times and never really got a good answer, so I talked to some Sony techs and that was there answer.

Johnny

Johnny

Thanks that was a helpful letter.

I have a question:

Suppose I have a system that only sends out a multiplexed signal. Can I still send that into the video in on the newtek SDI card? Will it find the video signal and leave the audio signal alone? I can then use the XLR audio cable from the camera as you suggest.

Reason I ask is that the new Panasonic camera is doing this.

Thanks

Jay

In theory I would think since newtek can only accept video at this time it will ignore your audio signal till newtek turns it on. What type of camera/deck (model#) is the signal coming from? I use Sony decks & Sony has a feature called QSDI that only works with other Sony gear and will not work with T2, but it also has SDI that's works with other products outside Sony. Does Panasonic now have an internal SDI for there products like QSDI?

Johnny

Camera

Actually it's a new camera due out in June of this year.
    the AJ-SDX900

http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat...AJ-SDX900.html

Feel free to take a look. The SDI option is something I am considering

Jay

Very nice rig. Are you saying this camera has SDI out and your going too use your camera as a player?

Nice Rig

Actually I plan to use the Toaster as a portable studio. Since any compression is done on the tape and not on the camera, I plan to record both on camera AND directly into the toaster from the SDI port uncompressed.

This will save a lot of hours in offline editing AND provide the best possible footage.

the SDI option is very important as there is no interference problems and I can go 100 meters away from the camera without worriing. (The toaster computer is very loud)

However if I cannot use it then this whole idea is gone

Jay

When SDI questions come up regarding audio, they usually start, "I am trying to acquire my footage but only the video is coming through, no sounds, what gives?" - so I think that the video mux is the only one that is captured and the rest are ignored.

You need to be sure the camera supports SD 8-bit SDI SMPTE-259M aswell as any funky new HD 10-bit x:y:z support it might also have.

These are important pre-sales checks for you.
    A Mackie for sound level (limiting/companding/matching etc) control might also be a good investment for the AES-EBU XLR audio run.

Excellent.. Now a question

Fair enough... Then perhaps I could just run the SDI into the video SDI in on the toaster. Question: If I run through the audio into XLR will the SDI video be in sync with the XLR audio?

If so then I might be back in business.

Please answer this if you know.

Jay

I am grateful for so much help

We run SDI in from our control room and XLR in from our audio room quite regularly with no sync problems whatsoever.

Regards,

Joel Slack
    Media Department, New Life Christian Fellowship

Excellent.. A WORKAROUND

So just take SDI video out of the camera, and XLR audio out of the camera. Run the SDI video into the SDI Video Card of the toaster, and the XLR audio into the the XLR input of the toaster and save them as one file..

This will work!!!

It will, won't it ?

Jay

Question what about using sdi-card for v/a

I bought a sdi-board for capturing and prinitng to tape using a digital vtr and t2.
    I am trying to use xlr digital out (AES/Ebu ) from vtr to connect it with the bnc digital in to sdi by using a selfmade cable (connected xlr 1 and 3 to the outer and xlr 2 to the inner lead of the bnc) but I get no sound captured nore printed. What am I doing wrong?

thanks for reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast