Thread: Render Options File Type on OSX limited?

Render Options File Type on OSX limited?

I think I've run into a access rights issue in OSX in a lab setting. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for resolving the issue:

I'm new to LW instruction and just started a course....I have four student lab stations (700 mHz eMacs running 10.2.4) and LW 7.5. Ditto on my teaching station (1gHz iMacG4 17" w/ OSX 10.2.4).

In the Admin account on the teaching station, LW will list 8 file type render options (save animation). On the student workstations, all they have is Flexible Float and Flexible Integer. I'd like to save student work to Quicktime files but the option isn't available.

As Admin I have given each LW student OSX accounts, with no access to System prefs and utilities folder (as these stations are in a public space - a school lab of 20 eMacs).

I've tinkered with numerous privilege settings on the LW folder, System Prefs, and utilities folder, plus account privileges and can't find the right combination to produce the Quicktime option.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Maybe it hasn't anything to do with access rights in OSX. Yet, if I change their accounts to full Admin status, the problem goes away. So, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and has the right access combination? Any other suggestions? I really need to resolve soon.

Thanks- ca

You aren't barking up the wrong tree. There are two solutions here, one with low maintenance and flexibilty, one with higher maintentance and flexibility. Essentially, the Lightwave preference files are not accessible to the students. The decision you need to make is if they can change preferences for just the application or for the plug-ins as well. I'd suggest just the application preferences, since they don't have access to add or remove plugins anyway. First of all, you need to make sure all the plug-ins and LScripts are added to Layout and Modeler while logged in as an administrator:
    1) Start the application (Layout or Modeler, you need to do both)
    2) Press [Option]-F11 to bring up the "Edit Plugins" dialog.
    3) Select "Scan Directory"
    4) Browse to the plugins directory of Lightwave and select "Choose"
    5) When Lightwave finished addding those plug-ins, repeat 3 & 4, but select the LScript directory.
    6) Quit the current application and do the other one.

Once both applications are finished, you will browse your Library:Preferences file for "Lightwave Extenson 3 Prefs" and move this file to the Applications:Lightwave 3D 7.5:Preferences folder. Also COPY the other Lightwave Preference files to the Public: Drop Box of the appropriate student.

Now you will edit the cmdline files to find the preference files. Open the "LightWave cmdLine" "Modeler cmdLine" and "Hub cmdLine" files. The first portion of each of these should be something like
    -c"Macintosh HD:Users:username:Library:Preferences"
    Change the username to the appropriate student. This will allow them to adjust the application preferences like window size, location, viewports, etc. Do this for all 3 files.
    The second portion of the file should be changed to point at the file you moved to the Lightwave 3D 7.5:Preferences file. Here is an example:
    -p"Macintosh HD:Applications:Lightwave 3D 7.5:Preferences"

Finally, log into each machine as the student, and move the preference files from the drop box to the Library:Preferences folder. If you want to mess with permissions, you can do this while logged in as an administrator. That should do it!
    "One of the things we really have to impress upon people is that it is never good to be fed on by a blood-sucking insect"
    Dr. Anthony Marfin, CDC

OSX file type permissions

THANK you so much for your timely reply!
    I'll tackle this after class this morning!

ca

LW in OSX Lab - fixed!

Thanks so much for your help!
    It worked! I could not find an answer in any LW manual or 3rd party book.
    Many thanks!
    ca

Newbie Member
    I had the same problem with a slightly different setup. We have a 20 computer Mac lab using Apple Netboot software. The computers actually boot from one central disk image on the server. So the "hard drive" is a read only image. I got this solution to work for us by placing a copy of the LW preference file on the real hard drive and modifying the LightWave cmdLine file to point to it.
    Thanks for the tip.