Thread: Loading scene INSANITY!!!

Newbie Member

Loading scene INSANITY!!!

I am having difficulty when it comes to loading a scene or loading items from scene in layout using LW [8}: It's taking way too long. I never had this problem with LW [7.5]. I am getting no help from NewTek on this matter. I sent about 5 emails, nothing. So I would like to know if anybody else has had this time problem when loading items from scene.

I am working on a biology project that involves 12 characters or more inside a cartoon body. To speed things up I use ACS 3 for the characters' bones and rigging. The characters Mesh are roughly 35,000 polygons. The entire section of the body is about 65,000 or more, depending on the camera angle shot.

When I do my work I usually work on one character at a time. I do all the keyframing, morphing and any other action needed in one scene. Open space, no background. The same for other characters that will be loaded into one scene. Once I have my background scene completed, I start loading in the characters, using the load items from scene.

Let me explain:

The Background scene is called: Scene v23 background only.

The character scene I am loading from is called: Pathogen v1 running.

I load up Scene v23 Background only, takes about 35 seconds. No problem (However the same scene in LW 7.5 is 10 seconds, I'll deal with it).

Now the other scene that is called Pathogen v1 running is a very smiple scene with one character and nothing else. Just his bones, the rigs and his morphing properties. Roughly about 4500 in polygons. That scene loads up about 5 or 8 seconds by itself.

Now with v23 background scene open, I click to load items from scene, I browse for that simple pathogen running scene It takes about 10 to 15 mins!?!? I see all of this loading plugins and settings about 1000 times before it loads the object. This is not the only scene I have trouble with. I do notice that the PC loads the scenes a little faster than the Mac, but this is crazy. Some scenes load fairly quick; however most of my complicated scenes take about 8 to 20 mins to open. The record so far is 1 hour and 2 mins. I had no choice with that scene except to wait for it to load.

I am wasting computer resources by these long hours of loading. That same scene I said was a record took 46 seconds on LW [7.5]!!!! I just don't understand all of this loading plugin and settings over and over. I can see after it loaded an object for that scene, but where is this coming from?

Also, all of my textures get screwed up when I load items from scene. The master Null gets assigned to the reference object to all of the objects that has any texture apply to it. I fix this by simply reloading the scene without saving all objects. However when I reload that scene, depending how much is involved, it's another 8 to 22 mins of waiting. Sometimes, more. I never had some much frustration in working with a program.

It's bad enough to have LW [8] crashing everyday, but to have this problem added is really insanity! Any ideas anybody, please help!!! Thanks

NOTE: Hardware I am using:

PowerMac G4 dual 1.25/ 2G of Ram/ 128mb Nvida/ 2 HD at 160g each/ 10.3.5

Dell 3ghz/512 of ram/ 128mb Nvida/ 60g HD/ Window XP pro

1. Loooong scene loading times -
    I see all of this loading plugins and settings about 1000 times before it loads the object.
    Gotcha. I had that too:
    http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...threadid=27140
    Check the Master Plugins panel for multiple instances of things like the scene/spreadsheet editors or Lscript Commander. EVERY time you "loaded-from-scene" objects into the scene you have been having problems with, you loaded all those editors in too.
    You'll probably find that there are God knows how many instances of them, for no readily apparent explanation (I say that because I have never worked with instances of editors at all, and yet there they all were). I'd also be willing to bet that the scene's filesize is unexplainably huge (as you will read, one of mine went up as high as 2.5Gb, and had hundreds of these instances).
    Incidentally, the problem doesn't go away by loading everything in from the old scene; all those editors will, of course, load with them. So just delete them all, and you shouldn't have the problem again. I've gotten into the habit of checking before EVERY save now. Anyway, that should see you right for that one, with luck.

2. Textures going screwy when using "load from scene" -
    I get that too, just about every time. I don't know if it's a bug or what it is, but it's very annoying. I just make sure that I don't save any objects until I've saved the scene and reloaded it.
    Last edited by EmperorPete; 08-20-2004 at 09:21 PM.

Instead of trying to load everything together into one monster scene, why not just render the individual elements separately and comp them together afterward? If you don't have access to something like After Effects, you can do some very basic compositing right within LW itself. I would think that this would probably be the most efficient solution.
    Gregg Domain
    Visual Effects Artist
    www.greggdomain.com
    -----------------------------
    Get Into Adobe After Effects

Newbie Member
    Originally posted by EmperorPete

. I just make sure that I don't save any objects until I've saved the scene and reloaded it. [/B]

That what I do too.

Thanks for that information about the plugins, I will check that too and will let you know. Just **** crazy you know???

Newbie Member

I do some composting

Originally posted by Triple G
    Instead of trying to load everything together into one monster scene, why not just render the individual elements separately and comp them together afterward?

I am not all up to speed with heavy composting with another program. However I do render different layers for a specfic scene and then bring them into FCP. Some scenes are too diffcult, so I just render out the whole thing. I have several computers for that so I am never tied up. I just got inside LW 8 and I see a nice set up on how to do network rendering so I will look into that as well.

Thanks

Newbie Member

Thanks a million!!!

Originally posted by EmperorPete

Check the Master Plugins panel for multiple instances of things like the scene/spreadsheet editors or Lscript Commander.

Thanks Pete! That was it! What a Joke!!!! One scene had over 4,000 instance items!! Where in the hell did they come from?

I will try that clean scene plug-in later. Does it work in LW [8]? I notice it is a 7.5 beta plug.

I got a lot of cleaning to do. I have 26 project scenes to clean out. You save me from going to the nut house!