Thread: volumetric light alpha question/problem

volumetric light alpha question/problem

I have two klieg lights on top of a building (spots) with volumetric lighting turned on in sprite mode. I can see the the volumetric pillars rising out of the lights in my renders or if I view the animation as a quicktime movie, but if I try to comp the render in after effects the volumetric disappears. As long as the beam is hiting another object it's visible in the composite but the light rays dissapear otherwise. I couldn't find anything in the manual concerning alpha channels in sprite mode. Anybody have any advice? Sprite mode is important in this job due to time constraints.

pic attached as I'm terrible at describing things.

Thanks
    Aaron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smart use of the "Search" button will do miracles on this forum (using keywords such as "volumetrics, alpha")... Sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm really not in the mood to explain this the 100th time.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

then don't

I know there is an easier way to do what your asking, but for now, couldn't you just put an object behind the light the same color as the background? Just make sure you move that object, if the camera moves. That should get you by until somebody who isn't a smart*** can help you. Good Luck.
    Silk

Mylenium wasn't being a [email protected]$$....all he was saying was that before posting a question, you can often save yourself a lot of time by simply using the search function of the forum. That's what it's there for. Chances are somebody else has already had the same problem you're experiencing....that way you can get an immediate answer to your question, and you also are not cluttering the forum with repeat threads.

Check it out:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/search.p...der=descending
    Gregg Domain
    Visual Effects Artist
    www.greggdomain.com
    -----------------------------
    Get Into Adobe After Effects

I don't mean to put Mylenium down. It just time and time again I see people being on the rude side to the newbees. That is why several of us posters are talking about put up a FAQ page or web site. I do agree that questions get repeated a lot. However odds are newbees also do not know where the search box is on the forum. I my self have not used it. I forget to even check for PM's.
    The search box should be at the top of the page not the bottom. It is easily missed. Sometimes it is easier for a newbee to just post a question rather than do the research whether it's this forum, the manual, other books or other web sites. I my self will try to answer a question to the best of my ability which sometimes is not up to par. I feel others that are capable should try the same and if the are discouraged by the repetitiveness, then refrain from posting. This forum is an online community to help others. If a poster know that this has been discussed before then why not just post a reference to that thread. Newbees can be easily discourged. We as a community should embrace each other as a whole and welcome new users helping them get up to speed quicker than we did. We need to strengthen our resources. Imagine what we could have accomplish if we had those same resources.
    Silk

Originally posted by Silkrooster
    I don't mean to put Mylenium down. It just time and time again I see people being on the rude side to the newbees. That is why several of us posters are talking about put up a FAQ page or web site. I do agree that questions get repeated a lot. However odds are newbees also do not know where the search box is on the forum. I my self have not used it. I forget to even check for PM's.
    I agree. As a member of many communities, I routinely see this type of response, and it shows a couple of things....

1.) That the resources available to the community are not easy/obvious to search and locate the key information. This may be caused by not only too little information or improper indexing, or it may be caused by _way_ too much information that can't be sifted through in a reasonable amount of time. These message boards would be an excellent example, particularly if, at this point, someone searched for "FAQ". They'd find 4 pages of references, none of which would be what they're looking for, including dangling bits of this conversation

2.) It shows that some users are burned out on reading the boards and answering questions. Its understandable, and it happens, but I don't think it should be tolerated. As mentioned earlier, if providing a link to the earlier discussion is difficult enough for an advanced user to generate this response, how can one expect to be able to find it? Patience here is key, and, if you need a break, take a break.

In any event, I'm going to try to start gearing up to put together a FAQ. Hopefully, we can talk about things at least one more time to put together some good user information.