Thread: Toaster Weirdness Part IV (added for dramatic purposes only)!!!

Unhappy Toaster Weirdness Part IV (added for dramatic purposes only)!!!

This post started out to be a request to help solve a Run time error. The toaster would not start up. But after turning the computer on and off a few times BoB has finally initialized and the toaster program opens without any errors.

About 3 weeks ago I had another strange occurance when loading the toaster I received the error that it isn't registered. I re-ran the registration program and was told that the serial numbers didn't match the Toaster Card. It gave me some other number that i couldn't find anywhere. So I then went on to re-register and the online registration would not work for some reason.
    After much frustration I shut everything down, came back about a hour later and the whole thing was 'back to normal'. It booted fine, there were no errors...nothing to indicate that anything had gone wrong.

Everyday (again added dramatics) seems to be hit or miss with my system lately. It's a good thing that my hair grows fast (sorry to those who are folicly challenged) and it returns almost as fast as i pull it out.

Anywho that's my Weird Toaster Tail..er..Tale
    PCPal Digital Media

Just Tryin' To Help...
    I received the error that it isn't registered. I re-ran the registration program and was told that the serial numbers didn't match the Toaster Card. It gave me some other number that i couldn't find anywhere. So I then went on to re-register and the online registration would not work for some reason. After much frustration I shut everything down, came back about a hour later and the whole thing was 'back to normal'. It booted fine, there were no errors...nothing to indicate that anything had gone wrong.
    Aren't computers fun!

I've run into the same thing Peter when installing new VT builds or patches and have decided the secret cure is to pull the plug on the system as you ended up doing. For some reason just doing a warm reboot can produce invalid VT serial and/or registration numbers. My standard operating practice has become complete shutdown for a few minutes which seems to eliminate the problem.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

This is as good a place as any to add my comment for anyone searching for weird problems later on...

While switching from PAL to NTSC you occasionally get the dreaded red-lettered input codec lock-up error in the Vision monitor, but it clears up and you procede. Well the other day it would never clear up. When that error persists, you can't change inputs, you don't have outputs, etc. We tried everything for several hours including cold re-boots. Dreading the 'Opps...' config reset as my next step, I had an idea. Log on as another user and you get all new configs and that would confirm if it is a config file problem or not. It was.

First try (after taking to Tech Support), was to delete the Preferences files (there are 2 in the preferences skin) for my login and that cleared me right up.
    Brad L.

Originally posted by sbates
    I've run into the same thing Peter when installing new VT builds or patches
    I've seen the same thing more than once and on more than one system, but out of the blue - i.e., not related to an update.

The first time it happened (quite some time back) I called in and was given a new unlcocking code -- which was good until we shut down and re-started ... and then it wanted the old code again.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")