Thread: Spline render issues

Unhappy Spline render issues

Hi Fellow Lightwavians!!

This is my first ever post, so bear with me if I seem a bit of a newbie.

The issue is at the moment, I am making a character using Splines, my first attempt at splines(geez it is superior!), all is going well up until I render the image. It seems to have these little see thru dots on the object. I made sure all the polys within the splines match the count, and all are continuous/joined. Is there something I have left off during the process that makes sure the polys are welded?

Also wondering after the spline model has been sub patched, Should I discard/hide the spline infomation? I am thinkin these two queries are related, but not sure.

Michael
    DigitAL ReALisM

The holes most likely are at the points where they splines came together and so the polys aren't merged there yet. Go to wireframe view in modeler (just wireframe not wireframe shade) and select the point in that area where the hole is. You'll probably see that there are two points or more in that spot instead of one. Select the points and hit ctrl-w to join them.

Once you've used the splines to model with, there's no need to keep them but I usually do because A) they won't render anyway so they're pretty much invisible to Lightwave's renderer and B) you may want to remodel a part of it at sometime and so it would be useful to have the original splinecage. I say cut and paste it into a far away layer and forget about it.

Mmh, did you check for any leftover 1-Point- and 2-Point-Polygons from your merge operations? Check that in Modeler and perhaps do another merge with a fixed distance to eliminate any possible remaining gaps. Also check if all of your polygons are aligned properly. Spline modelling will sometimes cause strange behaviors in areas where multiple patches meet and flip your polygons. Once you are satidfied with your patching, you may delete all splines without further worry. LW won't render them anyway and they will clutter your screen and confuse you when you add detail to your mesh. Just keep a copy of your spline cage in a separate file in case you need to go back or want to create anothe variation based upon it.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

Thankyou

Thanks guys, this helps me out with alot of trial and error. I had my suspicions that was it, but you never know.

Again, thankyou kindly
    DigitAL ReALisM