Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creepy Cottage in the Woods...

Creepy Cottage in the Woods...

"Old Hagatha's Cottage"

Created entirely with LW 8 & Worley Labs Sasquatch. I like to think of my working style as "stylized realism".
    peace.
    Jevin Studios: http://www.jevinstudios.com
    ------------------------------------------------

Winner: Silver Telly, 26th Annual Telly Awards

Custom User Title
    That`s lovely! Quite illustrational in feel.

Did you try the ray marcher ground fog? Might be even more spooky.

Cheers,

R

Vury beautiful work, the textures:wood and shingle, and
    the color/tone contrast in the lighting really sell it. Bellisimo.

Very nice!

I do have one crit though. Are those lightning bugs? They seem a bit overdone, both in number and intensity. It's a little thing though.

kitty ate Otacons kitty! veljko's Avatar
    hi- cool work,
    i would maybe highten the contras in the image- Get more intesive blacks and bring out the hidden details-
    v e lj k o p o p o v i c
    3D artist
    lemonade-p.com/veljko

this is really cool Jevin, I love it ... Velijko is right about contrast.... I'd go for unshrp mask in Photoshop... Nice job !!

Could we see a wireframe, if possible..?

@+
    Hervé

I've tried Unsharp Mask with your image...
    (hope you dont mind..)

In my POV I would go for :

Amount 70
    Radius 30
    Threshold 10

Cheers
    ps. what do you think Velijko....?

Thx for the kewl comments, guyz!

In regrds to the contrast and darker shadows, I was trying for a soft & slightly misty/foggy feel, like the cottage is right on the edge of an eerie roll of fog, and just beginning to be slightly affected by it (hence avoided rich dark shadows -- actually used a very low ambient light to haze and soften those areas). Might need some tweaking, tho -- will go back and review it today. Thx Hrgiger for the lightning bug tip -- will re-visit that as well!
    peace.

I really like the overall feel of this picture. As others have said I think a little more contrast would go far. Also I have to say that your three bare trees look a lot the same. You should add more branches off of the main branches, not have all the branches droop down so immediately or all the same amount. My only other crit is the light from inside the cottage. If it is lantern light it is too even. Flames flicker, and lanterns don't cast as wide a cone as electric lighting. You need to dirty up the light seen through the windows (probably easily done as post in PhotoShop).

I like your "stylized realism" aproach. This image feels like it work well for book cover illustrations. Really good work here.

Dxyner

Not BANNED!, and quit claiming you are. - The Mods somnambulance's Avatar
    Originally posted by hrgiger
    Very nice!

I do have one crit though. Are those lightning bugs? They seem a bit overdone, both in number and intensity. It's a little thing though.
    I agree, maybe ease off a hair. The bridge looks a little odd to me also, maybe if it were "Cottage in the swamp", it would click with me better.

Well -- took many of the suggestions to heart, and it really made a difference, as the above-updated illustration shows. Thanx to all!!!!

Turned the ambient light into a negative light (-10% intensity, which pulled the light from the shadows and added a beautiful contrast.) Also, tweaked the fog to get the effect I needed (and added ground fog), then adjusted the window lighting to give the appearance of interior light fall-off (great sugg -- thanx!). Also added variance to the background dead trees, and shrunk the fireflies.

I love the bridge, so am not adjusting that.
    peace.

Very Nice. I think those things made a great improvement. My only suggestion now is that you should put the old image back at the top and the new image down here so that people (especially those who haven't yet viewed this thread) can see what a difference it is. It will be a valuable contrast and perhaps help newer artisits to understand WHY the changes you made were important.

Keep up the good work!

Dxyner

Dxyner -- excellent idea! The only thing, tho, is that I replaced the previous render with this one (usually don't save old stuff when I tweak and update it....). Bummer -- will keep this in mind next time, definitely -- a progress flow would have been excellent here!

Really appreciate everyone's feedback -- excellent suggs!
    peace.

Looks like its floating. I suppose the cottage is on stilts but the orange glow underneath it (right side) seems strange to me.

Nice

Not BANNED!, and quit claiming you are. - The Mods somnambulance's Avatar
    Originally posted by jevinstudios
    I love the bridge, so am not adjusting that.
    If you love it, then I cant argue with that. It still isnt right though. Since that's what your going for, I like it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast