Thread: Mum finished

Mum finished

Well I spent ages trying to get the hair on this model right but it always looked a bit wrong, so I gave up. I guess I could have kept going but the whole point of this project was to see if I could get deformation maps to work well in Lightwave. I'm pretty pleased with the results but as with anything there's still loads wrong with it. I still don't think Lightwaves converting from Zbrush totally right but this may be due to the fact it can't do sub pixel. As I'm now wanting to do some more ambitious stuff I'm going to bring this one to an end. Thanks for everyones advice in the work in progress section. Sorry it's a bit of a boring render but like I said it was mainly an experiment.

On a final note I think it kind of looks like my mum, the eyes do but for some reason the nose came out too big (in Zbrush it seemed fine) and the lips a little thin. I showed her my hard work, she wasn't too pleased.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It turned out great...mighty work!!

Kuzey

That's awesome work.

Are you going to put some hair on her?

Adrian.
    Adrian.

"Dreams are good, but memories are better"

Thanks guys. I did have a go with Sasquatch but i just couldn't get it to look right. I then quickly painted some in photshop last night, it looked ok but I still thought it was a bit weak. I might have one more go over the weekend, maybe even try with some polys and alpha as it is bugging me that I never got the hair right.

Adrian where abouts in Brighton are you from? Just wondering because I work in Brighton on Western road.

kitty ate Otacons kitty! veljko's Avatar
    Looks great- The upper part is a bit too bunred out and she has just a litttle rubbery feel to her- otherwise great!

and i hear you on that hair problem- i made a hat for my head model to cover that hair up a bit
    v e lj k o p o p o v i c
    3D artist
    lemonade-p.com/veljko

Yeah agree with you on the skin, I was using a reflection map at first which worked better but the render times were running into days not hours so I just stuck with a spec map. I've read somewhere about using gradients to get a sub surface effect but never really looked into it more, do you know much about this? Yeah agree with the top of the head but I wasn't to bothered by this as I was originally going to have hair.

The G2 plugin is great for skin texturing...
    thats what i used and it helped alot
    I used a gradient only for the specularity(incidance angle based)- to get the skin to have more specularity on the edges-
    here is my image for reference-
    v e lj k o p o p o v i c
    3D artist
    lemonade-p.com/veljko

Wow really like that image, I saw it before when you were working on it. I've never used gradients before, I've read about them but I really can't get my head around them. By the sounds of it you can use them to control things like specular and bump but within your colour map which I find really strange. Does this mean that when you adjust it with in your colour map it will effect you specular map? Also how does the gradient equate to your 3D model. With photshop if you do a gradient it will be from where you start and stop the draw line, but in 3D space how does that work?

gradients are used in all surface aspects-
    Let me demonstrate
    I have used a simple gradient that eather has a pure white at the top of the gradient slider and black at the bottom or the other way around. For the colour gradient i uesd a multy colour gradient.The input parametar is set to "incidance angle". Input parametar is what determens how the gradient will be aplied to the object. Incidance angle is the angle what a beam would have if you shot it from your camera (this is a simplified explonation) at the object. See the snapshot of the gradient screen and the first ball to see what i mean.

I have used the gradient for the colour in the first ball.
    For the specularity and glossiness in the second ball i used a black to white gradient. You can see how it affect the ball- where the gradient is white you have high spec. and gloss. and where it is black you have no rspec and gloss. The specularity glossiness is set to 30- just like the first ball, but this time i am using the gradient to control the specularity and gloss. on the secon ball.

The same thing goes for the third ball- here i used the gradient in the reflection chanell. where you have white you have high reflection and where you have black in your gradient you have no reflection. On the last ball i have used the gradient in the transparency chanell

hope this helps!
    v e lj k o p o p o v i c
    3D artist
    lemonade-p.com/veljko

Thanks for the explanation. Does this mean that for gradients you might as well just do them in the colour channel. Also can you predict where the specular will occur by looking at the gradient. What I mean is when you place your areas on the gradient can you tell where it will end up on the object or is it a lot of guess work. I'd try it out for myself bt I'[m at work at the moment and don't have Lightwave here. Thanks for all your advice so far.

Gradinets in the colour channel only effect the colour of the surface-
    In the incidance angle input parametar you know that the top of the gradent will be where the angle is the bigest. And the bottom where the angle is 0.
    As for the bump input parametar. The top of the gradient will be where the bump is the lowest and the botom where the bump is the biggest
    here is an example-
    on the left is the render and on the right the gradient screen- Input parametar is set to bump-
    v e lj k o p o p o v i c
    3D artist
    lemonade-p.com/veljko

But you're in the colour channel and you're affecting the bump? So does that mean you wouldn't need to go into the bump channel to use a bump gradient? Also you're effecting the colour at the same time as the bump in that image is that just because you're in the colour channel? Sorry if I'm coming across a bit thick, I really should just try it for myself.

you should play for an hour or so with the gradients and would be clear.
    In the last example the gradient is in no way affecting the bump. I am using the bump just as my input parametar for the gradient. The bump is made by a simple procedural texture-
    As you can see in the example the gradient is only affecting the colour channel- Since the gradient is aplied only in the colour channel he can not afect anything else-

hope this helps-
    v e lj k o p o p o v i c
    3D artist
    lemonade-p.com/veljko