Thread: LW [8] Pre relese vs. LW [8] Final relese?

undisregistered member

LW [8] Pre relese vs. LW [8] Final relese?

I am a bit confused about what is going on here. I have read on multiple posts about some very important code forgetting to be compiled into LW [8] (pre relese) and that NT will make a Final relese that would include the faster render and many mentioned fetures from the first few feture lists.

Is this true?

When will NT relese "LW [8] Final"

where did Chuck mention this?

Will it be much faster?

Will we be able to download a pach?

Thank you

It's true!

LW[8] Final was released in June 30th.

LW[8] pre-order version is missing Renderer optimization, plus some corrections to Caustics (now slower but more precise/predictable... as far as I know).

Chuck confirmed this two things long times ago... take a look here:
    LW [8] Slower than 7.5c
    http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...r&pagenumber=2

"Development has confirmed that they have identified the issue in the version released for pre-upgrades, and expect to correct the issue prior to the official release of LightWave [8].

Any rendering using raytracing options should be faster in [8] than in [7.5c]. P4 systems should render about 5% percent faster, with P3 and Athlon systems seeing even larger gains, up to about 20% for Athlon in some situations. Speed gains will vary depending on a number of factors, however, so please bear in mind that YMMV.

A caveat is that errors in the Caustics and some other routines were fixed, with the result that while caustics and some other elements now render without the problems the errors were causing, they also render slower. The team felt that "slower and as intended" was the better option as opposed to "faster and not exactly what we're trying for.
    "

I think there's a little more... some bug corrections (I presume)...
    the pre-order build is dated 30-Mar-2004 (3 months before the Final one).

No news about a patch or an update at now!
    Last edited by Exper; 07-20-2004 at 10:13 AM.
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

There is no "pre-release" LightWave [8]. The release version was sent out to "pre-upgraders" meaning folks who purchased the upgrade in advance of the release; it was not a pre-release version. Subsequently it was found that rendering optimizations that the team had made somehow did not make it into the release version, and the team had hoped to have the first maintenance update ready by the time manuals were completed and the official release occurred. The first maintenance update subsequently was not ready, so the original release version is still shipping, and will do so until the first maintenance update is completed.

The affected code is just those optimizations to raytracing; the Caustics fix mentioned is present in the current release.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

Interesting !
    a thing i don't quite understand though is why rendering improvements in raytracing have to be doumented. are these new little features? i hope to see alot of good bug fixes in the maintanabce, as well as the openexr support wich was supposed to be in 8.0
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

Hi, Nemoid!

You are misreading the post - there is nothing in it about the raytracing enhancements needing documentation. The "official release" of LightWave [8] was to occur when the LightWave [8] manuals were complete and printed, because that's when we can sell full units with printed documentation.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

undisregistered member
    so when are you planning on having the patch?

Originally posted by Chuck
    There is no "pre-release" LightWave [8]. The release version was sent out to "pre-upgraders" meaning folks who purchased the upgrade in advance of the release; it was not a pre-release version. Subsequently it was found that rendering optimizations that the team had made somehow did not make it into the release version, and the team had hoped to have the first maintenance update ready by the time manuals were completed and the official release occurred. The first maintenance update subsequently was not ready, so the original release version is still shipping, and will do so until the first maintenance update is completed.

The affected code is just those optimizations to raytracing; the Caustics fix mentioned is present in the current release.
    Hi Chuck. maybe my english is not the best around here, but from your post seemed that these features were to be documeted. sorry if i missed the point.
    so, to be clear what we have now is actually the final release even if we preordered it.
    Did i understand right?

Could you shed some light on when we will see the maintenance and what features , especially some you guys announced at a first time in the 8.0 feature list will be covered?

Thanx in advance.
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

My understanding of what Chuck has said is that those who preordered and received LW earlier this year have exactly the same piece of code that is currently sold to new users in a box.

undisregistered member
    I think Newtek does not want to establish a set date for the relelece of a patch because of what happened last time they predicted a date.

The product team has no announcement to make at this time as to the timing and specific features or fixes of the first maintenance update.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

Originally posted by art
    My understanding of what Chuck has said is that those who preordered and received LW earlier this year have exactly the same piece of code that is currently sold to new users in a box.
    That is correct, and that is as originally planned. Our plans with LightWave [8] did not include putting out a pre-release version. The development team only considered trying to implement a revision at the official launch after discovering the inadvertent omission of the raytracing enhancements. That turned out not to be possible within that timeframe.
    Chuck Baker
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn

undisregistered member
    So you will have a rendering update...right?