Thread: The Need For Speed...

The Need For Speed...

Hi,

wondering if anyone can tell me what the speed improvement in LW8 vs. 7 for rendering hypervoxels, given the same scene.

Thank
    MiamiSteve

As far as I know, there was no speed improvements in rendering from Lightwave 7.5 to 8. I did some benchmarks when I first installed LW8 while I still had 7.5 installed and actually found Lightwave 8 to be several seconds slower on most things. I don't remember if I did a HV benchmark but I did several and the results were fairly similar. I rebooted between each render to ensure there wasn't a memory leak or slowdown for accurracy.

Newtek said there would be a rendering speed increase with LW8 but at the last minute, they did say that a few features were taken out at the last minute that weren't quite ready yet so perhaps that was one of the things left out.

I personally am hoping that they fix the problem with the Lightwave SDK to allow FPrime to render shaders and volumetrics like HV's because I don't think I'll be using the Lightwave renderer much after that point.