Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H.R Giger Tribute

Talking H.R Giger Tribute -Second Image Added

An image done using Lightwave 7.5, in tribute to H.R Giger and his amazing creations. Thought I'd share it here. It's the first image completed in a series of three. The second is already well underway.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MarkJTaylor; 03-29-2003 at 03:18 PM.

Nice image. Looking forward to the other two!

I can personally say that I'm a big fan. Can you tell?

Thanks everyone. And yes hrgiger, I figured you'd be a fan The second image in the set is near completion, just finishing off surface work, tweaks to the lighting setup, oh and of course the render time to go. Thanks once again, your feedback is appreciated.

Look forward to seeing it.

I once started carving my bed frame into an HRGigerish sort of design but never finished it. Now that I'm married, well, I don't think my wife would be too jazzed about that.

I like the image and the composition. And the model Rocks!!
    But I'm having this feeling that he has just brushed his teeth...
    Is there a possibillity that you could make them a bit more yellowish? Keep'em coming!!

Thanks pixelranger, your comments as well as others are more than appreciated. And I agree they do look a little white. That was always somthing that stood out to me from the original Alien designs from giger. If you take a look; the teeth are so white in fact they have a 'silver' quality to them.

The second image in the set is almost complete (It features a nice head close up, and a full figure), I shall try your suggestion of staining the teeth a little and let you know how it goes.

Thank you once again.

And hrgiger, you carved your bed into a giger'ish design? Sounds wickedly cool. I want to purchase Giger's "The Birth Machine" and have it as a center peice in my house

I love those movies (well the first two anyway!)

Looking nice!

I would like to suggest two things though:

1) The teeth: I think they need to be less, monster like, I know that sounds daft, but I don't remember them being that pronounced, maybe they're just too big.

Also aren't Aliens' teeth metal? They looked metal on the closeup
    shots in the movie, but that could just be the saliva running down them! But I agree with pixelranger, they're too white!

2) The inner mouth: In the movie they only use the inner mouth
    for attacking, they don't really walk around with it sticking out!

Personally I'd try pushing it back in, or do a close-up shot with it
    coming right at the camera (maybe with motion blur to create the illusion of speed)

At the moment it looks like the Alien is eating a sausage!

But I think the lighting and body texture is looking great!
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Saliva! yeah, thats it! Add some saliva dripping ang haning between his upper and lower teeth.

And after Matt comented that the alien looks like he's eating sausage, I saw it too. Maybe if you point the extruding mouth a bit more downwards...

But as I said, I think that the model rocks!

Thankyou guys for the critisism, finally I've found a forum where I can post my work, where I get honest replies. What a fresh of breath air.

Ahhhh that's what it is. I knew I hated somthing about that inner mouth. It does look like he's gagging back on a sausage. hahaha, well im well almost ready to render the second image in the set, so I'll go back and make a few adjustments, I may pop that inner mouth inside, and close the aliens mouth. Oh and yes, Silverish looking teeth will be added.

And yes, plenty and plenty of saliva is being added.

Thank you once again for your help, its more than welcome, and honestly a fresh of breath air.

Aliens II

Ok heres the second image in the series. For now I'm putting the third image of the set on the back burner, due to another project in mind that feels a little fresher after two alien works in a row.

Well I hope you like it; you can see I took the various suggestions into mind, and personally I think they all worked and made this image turn out quite well. So thank you for your help everyone, its more than apprecated. Your comments / suggestions / critiques are always apprecated. Thank you

Attached Images Attached Images

sweet. any plans on trying to send them to GIGER? man, what i wouldn't do for a HARKONNEN chair...

I havn't actually thought about sending them to giger. Somthing seems a little wierd about re-creating Giger's creations, then sending them back to him

It was just a test to see if I could pick an advanced subject (I found modelling the alien to be pretty advanced, not the easiest shape/subject in the word) and see how close I could get. Thanks for your reply and suggestion, I always appreciate feedback!

I'm not ususally one to comment on composition, but I think that it would be very cool (for this most recent shot) if the closeup alien would be looking toward the camera - as if these two are on the prowel and he just spotted us.
    It would fill the frame out a bit more and add a touch of tention.
    Just a thought.
    REALLY nice images, though.

Excellent suggestion! It shows we think a like!

I had tried the head on that angle, however I quickly realized that since the subject is dark, when the head is tilted on an angle, it skews the shape of the head, to the point that the trademark "alien" head design, is lost. I was forced to either lighten the overall image and lose a little of the atmosphere, or keep the head parallel with the camera and retain the atmosphere and mood intact.

Thank you so much for your suggestion though, keep them comming, as they are appreciated and do help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast