Thread: "uh... because it's artsy, dangit!"

"uh... because it's artsy, dangit!"

UPDATED: New pic at bottom of thread.

This started as two different tests in my free time at work... one involved the "surface thickness" gradient, and the other involved trying different radiosity settings on a simple box. Well, one thing led to another, and this popped out. I kinda liked it so I figured I'd put it up here. I have no idea what it means. Oh... I mean, the correct thing to say is "yes, I know what it means but I'm not telling because you have to figure it out."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by marble_sheep; 07-29-2004 at 08:56 PM.
    Digital Delight for Analog People
    www.DereksDigital.com

I'm scared

@surface thickness, did you use a grad. in the transparancy channel?
    If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves. TE

Originally posted by johnnyh66
    I'm scared
    This, coming from someone with a skull in their avatar Hehe.

Yep, I used the surface thickness in the transparnecy channel of the liquid... I was trying to emulate the liquid (blood, whatever) thinning out towards the edge. It's a very subtle thing, but I liked the way it turned out. Interestingly, I noticed that the effect was not even noticable when using MonteCarlo radiosity, but it showed up much better with Interpolated. Must be the way the light is bounced around? I dunno
    www.DereksDigital.com

If that's a bar of soap on the bathroom tile, then I would be scared too.

Looks good, wether it means anything or not.
    Ocean Byrne
    humble pixel farmer
    www.moceandesigns.com

Ouch. You scared me now.

*****'n soap, 'n blood, 'n stuff...

Hey man! Summer is half over, and I'll be back around to bug you in the begining of August. Your pic looks really good. Sadly, they only let me play with photoshop at my job. Have you messed with the refraction index number much for the blood? I know that's importaint for glass, but I'm not sure about liquids.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." -Isaac Asimov

Visit www.DigitalSurreal.com

Hey, Soap + Blood = FIGHTCLUB
    I'm the Anti-Christ. You get me in a vendetta kind of mood, you will tell
    the angels in heaven that you had never seen pure evil so singularly
    personified as you did in the face of the man who killed you.

haha - First thing that came to my mind where the word; "The bleeding soap bar".

Looks good. The blood is looking good. I don't know if you want to keep the bar/box/soap like that, or if you want to continue playing with its surface. I would try and actually make it like the surface of a used soap bar. Just for the fun of it.

Hey everybody,

Thanks for the continued comments. Even though my initial intention with this piece wasn't to have it be a bar of soap and blood specifically, that's definitely how it turned out. So I've started creating a new scene with a little more of a photo-real quality to it, but unfortunately I've been swamped at work and haven't been able to finish.

I will post it here when I do it, so check back!

@ tomclancy_jack: Hey Matt, how's it hanging. Yep, there's a refraction index, but it's not very noticable because blood isn't very transparent. Let me know when you're back in town!
    www.DereksDigital.com

Ok, so I finally had time to re-do this image. Rather than start a new thread I'll put it here While the previous version was intended to be ambiguous, there is no question about this one! Did a little post in photoshop, too. Let me know what you think!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.DereksDigital.com

Custom User Title
    I think it`s the bathroom floor of an inept interior decorator: that`s not blood, but Dulux `Teracotta`

R

I like it, but the blood effect has kind of gone. It looked more realistic in the first render. As for the soap-bar, maybe you could add some grooves and such, and some scraped parts to give it a used look.

I very much like the tiles. Neat stuff.

... keep in mind my present monitor has seen better days ....

floor looks very good - one of the better efforts I've seen. Looks pretty natural. Maybe add a little bit of subtle irregulatity ???

soap bar - little bit too symetrically shaped. By that stage of their life span most have assumed some sort of tapering and bulging from uneven use. Along with some water softened flat corners from being dropped. Maybe even a subtle softened gash from bouncing off the tub filler neck on the way down. Don't over do it - finese and sublety are the key. Just enough so it's noticed but not stand out. Same with the grooving mentioned above.

But the really noticeable thing is the blood .... it looks better in the first image.

Anyway - just some suggestions - like the image as it stands.

byte_fx

I like the image. I especially like the way you have the blood filling the space between the tiles and the specific fingerprint look to the markings on the soap.

-e