Thread: Linux screamernet

Newbie Member

Question Linux screamernet

Has anyone attempted to set up the linux distribution of screamernet that came with the 7.5b update? I have tried to use it in Slackware 8.1 to no avail.
    I got screamernet to run after completing the script file "runsn2.sh" since it naturally didn't contain the paths for the command files. I was able to start the script and immediately saw the standard messages indicating the app was running. I typically see the responses from lwsn in NT4.0 (the "init", "wait", etc) cycle at about half second intervals on my 2 GHz P4. In a half second in linux, about 30 "init" statements appeared. However, I couldn't get LW's network render panel to talk to the app. LW saw the processor was requesting work, but the network render panel never returned to allow selection of a scene after I hit the OK button. I tried again by activating screamernet on my other PCs (a 500 MHz running XP professional and a 833 MHz P3 running NT4.0) and attempted network rendering once again. This time I was rewarded with three screamernet nodes ready to render. I loaded a scene file and started screamernet rendering. Machine 1 (the 833) loaded frame 1, machine 2 (the 500) loaded frame 2, machine 3 (the 2 GHz) tried to load frame 2 multiple times and just tried over and over again. So, I haven't had any success as yet, but I am not ready to give up.

Has anyone else tried screamernet on linux?

I had to give up on it, I don't think the -2 mode works on all if you try to control it with a Mac, it never shows up. And in -3 most of the image savers do not work, and it was having problems with the textures on my objects...

Newbie Member
    Is anyone from Newtek looking at this thread? I would like to know their response to this. I have been told Newtek checked this out on a Redhat Linux build, but I can't believe that is causing this problem. Did Newtek check it on a network that the file server was running NT 4.0 with an NTFS file structure? That is how my setup is arranged.

Would someone from Newtek please respond?

Is anyone out there?

Angry

I've tried it on debian and it runs, but there is alot of rigging that needs to be done to make it work. I still haven't been able to save a rendered image, but I think that has to do with the type I was trying to save.

I'm glad that NewTek has listened to their users and created the linux binary. Now for a quick tutorial on setting it up.

I'm still working on a configuration that will make it work correctly without redundancy in the system.

Thank you NewTek for the linux package. Completeness would be nice. Coming from a software test engineer standpoint, I would have never let this out the door without a manual.

-Bool