Thread: acs4, the setup machine, or thomas plugins

Dave W.

acs4, the setup machine, or thomas plugins

If it where you which one of the three would you choice to use and why and do the work with LW8.
    I just am about done with a char. and would really like to rig him.
    Thannks for the replies

they are all good tools indeed.
    It all depends from your needs.

TSM would be my choice, because u can rig chars with multiple arms , legs, also 2 spines, no matter what you need. also, it exists for diferent packages while other tools don't. u simply use a premade skeleton and adapt it to your mesh,add what u need then go to layout and you're done in a few clicks.only thing u will have to paint your weight maps if necessary.

ACS4 is good, but it has premade rigs with alot of controls and a huge use of weights so, while is very fast and good, u may find some prob if u want total flexibility and control by yourself things like painting weigh maps
    (wich are not always necessary into a rig)

Thomas4D tools are good as well. they allow you to not use plugs wich is good. He's also compiling the 2.0 version wich is promising as well, but i dunno about huge flexibility.
    They are Lw related like ACS4 though.
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

Dave W.
    I'm liking thomas4d because of the facial rigging do the others do the same this looks quite nice.

I think you can download a demo of all three.

The best thing would be to test the rigs of them.

For me it's much more important that I am comfortable with rig, than if the riggin tool is fast and easy. With all of them you can rig a character in a few minutes (with weightmaps maybe a little bit longer ).
    But with the rig you are spending days, weeks or even months when animating.

I dont like the original ACS4 rig, it's a monster-rig, for me it's tedious to work with. But I can make my own rig from scratch, it's not easy but I only have to make it once.

rig's

I just picked up Thomas 4D and DAZ mimic PRO for lightwave.

I have used mimic a lot, and like it but I still have not used Thomas 4D yet. I am looking forward to trying it this weekend for the first time.

How ever Set-Up Machine for Lightwave look quite good as well.