Thread: Edge Beveling on MAC?

Newbie Member

Edge Beveling on MAC?

Does anyone know of something similar to Happy Digital's EdgeFX for the Mac? I'm pretty new to Lightwave and I love it, but the only thing I'm seeing a lack of at this point is some way to soften edges quickly. FormZ and Electric Image Universe which I have used previously have really good edge beveling control but I have found none in LW other than when you first create a box with radiused edges. We need something like that for any set of selected surfaces! EdgeFX sounds perfect, but only for Intel! How about VertiBevel? Does that serve the same purpose? It's kind of hard to tell from the samples on their website. Maybe there are some rounding techniques that I'm not aware of...
    Also.. which of the available tree generator plugs do the more experienced users think is best?

Richard Brak has a plugin, RB Rounder which looks like it will do what you and alot of other people have asked for, see his movie at www.richardbrak.net. Its not released yet but looks great. AFAIK Edge FX is a not a geometry based solution.

I'm a fan of Tree Druid by Dynamic-Realities. You get a lot for about $100

http://www.dynamic-realities.com/treedruid/index.html
    "One of the things we really have to impress upon people is that it is never good to be fed on by a blood-sucking insect"
    Dr. Anthony Marfin, CDC

tree druid does edge beveling?

Newbie Member
    Originally posted by noiseboy
    Richard Brak has a plugin, RB Rounder which looks like it will do what you and alot of other people have asked for, see his movie at www.richardbrak.net. Its not released yet but looks great. AFAIK Edge FX is a not a geometry based solution.
    Wow... that's exactly what I was talking about. Can't believe people haven't been screaming for this for a long time.. seems so basic to me. Hope he finishes it soon. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by paintboy
    tree druid does edge beveling?
    No, but the original post also asked about tree generator plug-ins.
    "One of the things we really have to impress upon people is that it is never good to be fed on by a blood-sucking insect"
    Dr. Anthony Marfin, CDC

Mlinde...yep sure did...TBS(tiny Brain syndrome)

Daz (http://www.daz3d.com/pages/dp/develo...elopright.html) has a great tool called edgebevel. They have only the windows version posted on their site, but if you email them and ask nicely they've been happy to email you back the Mac version.

It basically splits points along an edge, creating a bevel. handy.

fujio( http://www.infoseek.livedoor.com/~f_ichikawa/) has a plug-in called wrinkle that also splits points along and edge, it creates an interior edge while it's at it, you can move this 3rd seam in and out while the tool's active. also handy. while this plug is intended for wrinkles and microdetail, it can be used for rounding, giving you one more edge than the edgebevel plug mentioned above.

The above tools are great. But I'm also eager to put me money down on Richard Brak's plug when it's released.

trees? I use treesdesigner at Polas.net. works well for me.
    -m.

is the wrinkle plug intel only?...could not find, but the web site is a bit bewildering so it could be there...somewheres.

yep, it's there(though I had to hunt for it myself!)

Look under the heading: "Jigsaw and Wrinkle have com to Mac Users." It's right above the pics showing wrinkle toward the bottom of the page.

There's lots of indespensable plugs on his site--worth checking out and seeing if they help your modeling work. They did for me.

thank you sir! found it...Fi's extender replaced the LW version
    about 2 months ago....we're wrinklin' now.

and if you get really frustrated modelling, this will help:

http://www.rathergood.com/independent_woman/

Newbie Member
    Originally posted by mlinde
    I'm a fan of Tree Druid by Dynamic-Realities. You get a lot for about $100

http://www.dynamic-realities.com/treedruid/index.html
    I get the impression that Tree Druid can handle palm and pine varieties, whereas Mr. Olas's does only the standard "leafy" type trees.. is this correct? Obviously I would go for the more versatile of the two...

ShortsightedSithAssassin
    Well.... you get a tree generator that makes quite nice (if angular) trunks and branches and square/triangular/diamond-shaped leaves. It's okay for trees that aren't very close to the camera.

I think the Tree Designer/Leaf Generator pack

http://www.polas.net/

is actually better value at 150 Euros ($160) - it generates very nice results, with UV maps and stuff. You can't even sub-patch Tree Druid's meshes, since the branches aren't joined to the trunk properly.

My 2 cents.