Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV news (Warning ON topic)

Talking TV news

OK, now that we have dissected the politics of the war, what about the coverage. Do you like the crawls everyone seems to be using? What about the redefinition of "Broadcast Quality Video" i.e. Sat Vid Phones? Is saturation coverage a good thing or too much? Does CNN look blurry to you or is it just Dish Network?

Some of my observations:

Fox needs to let the expert practise off-air with the ScreenWriter before unleashing them on the public and every map they (or anyone else) shows implys that there are NO roads in Iraq, why is this?

If Saddam had a Toaster he could have made more convincing fake videos.

The skill of reporters seems to vary a great deal, some can barely string together a couple of coherent sentenses while others provide insightful information. The latter tend to be out getting shot at while the former are asking stupid questions at press briefings, I'm for trying it the other way around.

The 'embedded' reporters provide a view of the events never before available, so far this has been a good thing, I hope that continues.

-Jeff (I don't sleep I'm a News Junkie) Cupp
    Digital Arts
    Last edited by jcupp; 03-28-2003 at 07:15 AM.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, TC 8000, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, 3Play Mini, 3Play 4800, TS 100, TS 4000

I think the coverage is great. The quality of many feeds is awful, but it's the beginning of a new technology. It's amazing.
    Remember Black and white News footage?
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

Well, I think channels like CNN are way too dramatic. I prefer to catch the news on NPR (national public radio). It's a lot less sensationalistic then tv news.

I listen to NPR on occasion, BBC world service is balanced better though, but shortwave is inconvienent. In both cases the pictures suck
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

Gear Used: TC1, TC 8000, TC 460, TC Mini 4i, 3Play Mini, 3Play 4800, TS 100, TS 4000

Re: TV news (Warning ON topic)

embedded = in bed with

All U.S. networks have admitted to censoring their coverage. BBC also. There's no point having action cameras on the front of tanks if they censor what the affect is to the Iraqi side.

Iraqi casualties are being censored. When was the last time that CNN showed a glimse from the inside of an Iraqi hospital?

Video of the U.S. marines from the Texas division who have been captured by the Iraqis has not been shown on U.S. networks, at Donald Rumsfeld's request.

This video looked like an interview situation with an interviewer asking the nervous marines to say their name and where they come from. This part of the video showed no violence. TV networks are not signatories to the Geneva Convention. Why censor this stuff, when the rest of the world gets to see it?

The U.S. networks are reluctant to show anything that might sway domestic public opinion against the war.

I look forward to when the Qatar based al-Jazeera network starts their English language service. At least then we'll be able to flick between that and CNN and compare the conflicting information, then make our minds up.
    Moral of the day:
    Worry about your own morals, not someone else's!

Originally posted by Beamtracer
    embedded = in bed with

I look forward to when the Qatar based al-Jazeera network starts their English language service. At least then we'll be able to flick between that and CNN and compare the conflicting information, then make our minds up.
    They are certainly in bed together. No doubt about that, they would have been there for all of five mintues had they started reporting negative coverage.

On the flip side of the coin, al-Jazeera is not exactly agenda free either. I wonder if we will see them talk about the torture chambers, rape rooms, and countless atrocities of Saddam's rule.

What I really look forward to is what will be the new Iraqi television after the war and the effect it may have on the region.

YES... if it is on the INTERWEB, it must be true! LOL!
    Chris Moschella

Re: Re: TV news (Warning ON topic)

Originally posted by Beamtracer
    embedded = in bed with

All U.S. networks have admitted to censoring their coverage. BBC also. There's no point having action cameras on the front of tanks if they censor what the affect is to the Iraqi side.

But Al Jazeera is pure and only tells the Truth?

The effects of tanks of the Iraqi side is pretty obvious, I think. The soldiers of an evil and corrupt dictator are dying by the hundreds. We gave them a chance to surrender and they didn't so now they face the consequences of that descision. I know that, you know that, hell, even the viewers of MSNBC (both of them) know that. It's not censorship, it's common human decency not showing images of dead and dying soldiers.
    -Jeff

My TriCaster Blog
    TriCaster Tally Lights

YES... if it is on the INTERWEB, it must be true! LOL! [/B]
    YEA.. and if it's from GOD's OWN COUNTRY BRAINWASHING CNN || FOX NEWS TV it must be even MORE TRUE

Prove me your IQ is higher than the one of your lamer president...

d|vZilla, hey, why don't you keep the ad hominim remarks off the forum and stop calling people idiots. Those comments do not add to the debate at all and only further entrench the sentiments that those who are against the United States are driven by jealousy of our prosperity.

And just in general, don't say things in a forum that you would not say to someone's face. It is just cowardly.
    Chris Moschella

Originally posted by Meaty
    d|vZilla, hey, why don't you keep the ad hominim remarks off the forum and stop calling people idiots. Those comments do not add to the debate at all and only further entrench the sentiments that those who are against the United States are driven by jealousy of our prosperity.

And just in general, don't say things in a forum that you would not say to someone's face. It is just cowardly.
    Exactly. I will just laugh about your cheap USA propaganda **** from now on.

You can sit and laugh privately, you can yell and call people idiots publically, or you can try and engage in a civil debate to try and broaden your mind. I for one will admit that I have learned a lot just from these threads and the research it has forced me to conduct research to back up my convictions. Beamtracer is polite debater to those who are polite to him/her. Take notes.
    Chris Moschella

Originally posted by Meaty
    You can sit and laugh privately, you can yell and call people idiots publically, or you can try and engage in a civil debate to try and broaden your mind. I for one will admit that I have learned a lot just from these threads and the research it has forced me to conduct research to back up my convictions. Beamtracer is polite debater to those who are polite to him/her. Take notes.
    Actually it's just a **** waste of bandwidth.

Do you even own any Newtek products? I noticed the number of your posts are pretty low. I believe you are just a trouble maker who found this thread somehow and just started posting your anti-Americanism. Now before the website changed, you may have had a bunch of posts. I don't know. But I don't remember ever seeing your name before.
    Senior Graphic Artist/Animator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast