Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D World Review of LW8

3D World Review of LW8

Just in case any non-subscribers aren't aware, there's a review of LW8 in the latest issue of 3D World (July).

Well?

Thumbs up or thumbs down?

what's the review like?

detailed?..or just a skimpy overview...?

and how did it fair against maya 6.0, xsi 4.0 and max 6.0?...mind you most reviews are in isolation so are a totally useless read by anyone who's looking for a 3d pro app...still if it's an "informed" review by someone who actually uses 3d app and simply not a chap/chappess who can write a bit then we have hope!

...gee i'm so cynical!...

well just about had my fill of poo 3d magazines with 6 week old news and so called tutorials with a huge amount of steps missing so my student's can't complete them...

i did try to offer video tutorials to digit and 3d world but they prefer ripping off users/reader with lack lustre efforts like digit and 3d world though i hear that splingod's excellent free videos were on a mag a while back so that was worth the £6.

...slinking off into a corner!
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

It's a 2 page review, so not hugely in depth. It's been produced by Benjamin Smith, and I think it's pretty balanced and fair - it's not a fanboy post, nor is he slagging off NewTek / LightWave.

Overall the review's pretty mixed. There's some positives around bones / rigging, dynamics, dope sheet, scene editor, cloth / editFX and online help. There's also a few less positive comments, primarily around the lack of Modeller / Layout integration, the fact that a lot of the new functionality is in the form of plugins which have been "piled on top of the existing architecture", lack of renderer enhancements, etc.

No real mention of the competition, certainly nothing in detail, other than the usual price point pressures with Maya 6 and XSI and the statement that NewTek is going to have to do more, faster, if it's going to stay the course.

Really it's mirroring much of what's already been said publicly on forums - certainly there were no surprises in what was said in the review.

I don't want to post too much here - there's a thing called copyright Go support the broader 3D community and buy the magazine

Originally posted by Neil_Campbell
    and the statement that NewTek is going to have to do more, faster, if it's going to stay the course.
    )
    So, basically the review is saying:
    'Has Elvis left the building?"

Anyone seen him recently?

What's the chance of a comeback gig?

:-)
    Steve Williams | d i g f r e a k | UK

Mac: Dual 2.5GHZ G5, 2g Ram, ATi 128 OSX 10.3.7

PC: AMD 64 X2 Dual Core +3800, Quadro FX 1300, 2 GiG Ram

I guess that's one way of reading it, sure. But then every product is facing competition these days, and everyone is having to do more for less, and do it faster, and position their products accordingly.

I need to read the review, but I can say for myself that the "piled on plug" thing is a little over stated, depending on which part of LW you're looking at.

For me the plug-in put into Layout are well intergrated, and ones that were piled on before are actully starting to work, and work together. There is hope here.

IK boost, for a brand new tool set, is really slick and will only get better with time. For some they may need to use it with the traditional IK, but I find I can do most things just with it- and it seems to preview faster than the old IK.

In modeler however it's a mixed bag. They are more than just slapped on, but one has to think that the extra functionality would have been in the plug-ins had the orgional developers had a better, more open SDK to work with. NewTek just used it's inside knowedge/development to do what they couldn't due to the SDK restrictions. To me the whole idea of plugins being bad is a stupid idea. How well the plug-ins intergrate is the main area of importance. Just because it's made by the first party doesn't mean it isn't a plug-in (C4D).

I also don't know what to think of the intergration idea...but it needs to be addressed. On one had if they keep them seperate they may be able to develope them "faster" in some ways. On the other hand...well we know the answer to that one. I wish that the guts of LW were in the hub, and that modeler and layout were consoles that could either appear together or appart, and be launched independently from on another by the HUB. Not like how it is now, I mean almost ALL of the guts in the hub for true intergation. OpenGL, basic mesh engine, etc. Then we could have the best of both worlds.

In the end I'm half happy, half sad and depressed about it. If the new team is more like the developments to Layout, then the future is bright, if it's like modeler got addressed...well...

Pronounced Inarticulate
    Sounds like a recycling of their 7.0 review then, with a list of the new features thrown in. Cresshead, Im with you, all too often they publish speculations and gossip as authoritive statements. The tutorials ha! jeez, call them tutorials??? (actually there was some great material put in there by the Worms of Art, though the publishers managed to screw that up too).

And as for the bit about your tutorials... that sounds like typical behaviour on their part... anyone remember the 3DPalace video tutorials from Larky? could you even watch more than 30 secs?

And trust me, the Splinegod tutorials literally fell in their lap, they dont deserve any credit for that, that was just Larry being Larry.

Newbie Member
    Isn't everything in Max a plugin? Plugins are cool as features can be improved easier without having to rewrite the entire software. Why do people think this is a negative?

Vincent D. Brumback

Basically, they dont say anything we dont know yet.... lw8 is no big deal, .... working in my new LW8 environ. did not change anything from working in 7.5... so at least there is a nice content that we can at least use for some pro stuff... so NT You better hurry repairing the big holes you have in your socks....

BTW, I stopped buying 3D world a long time ago, coz I've found it to be just gossip stuff....

so far in w 8 i seem to get on better by switching it back to lw7.5 "tab style" as nearly everything has moved from where i know it should be..though i will persist in the new u.i layout as i try and re learn where things are...re changes with lw 8..if your into character animation then lw8 is a real boost up from lw7.5 with the rig files and new bone tools plus bone dynamics and ik booster as well as the soft body dynamic etc..and modeller is a bit of a boost with some of it's new stuff as well..overall lightwave 8 is not a huge leap from lightwave 7.5..but as it's a 0.5 upgrade i wasn't expecting huge leaps esp seeing as the dev team is totally new...it's more of a consolidation and new begining release which promises that the new dev team can deliver good solid tools and are inovating as well.

when we get f prime inside all the hooks to lightwave 8.0 then i'll guess that lightwave 8.1 will be a much more bigger deal for most people as they will be doing all their rendering and previews in f prime which will change their day to day work in the program no matter what the 3d scenes are for.

i'm also keen to get the printed manual as i bet most lw 8 users are like me and are missing huge chunks of info on new stuff in lw 8 currently.

steve g
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

100 right Cresshead, I just dicovered the backdrop booster.....

I think like you ...... only way to save our bott is a nice integration of King F_prime & lw

I am not responding specifically to anyone in this thread because I pretty much know where most of you guys stand- I am just adding my opinion-

In spite of all the reservations and misgivings we all have about this latest upgrade the one thing that MUST be kept in perspective and one that I will fight for is the new dynamics approach. I will repeat this as much as I have to.

I use dynamics and PFX all the time and the new way of doing it NOW is a HUGE time saver- integrating the entire process within the Objects panel is nothing short of brilliant. I have shaved hours off of jobs already just with the efficiency of this approach.

This ALONE- in spite of a few hassles and letdowns- is worth a couple of hundred bucks of the upgrade price, TO ME anyways, which leaves DFX+ for the remainder, WHICH means (who gives a crap about some freak reviewer) that if you don't use dynamics or PFX much that you have done much better than you realize at this stage.

Soooo... our intermediate-grade architectural people (is there anyone who CANNOT model buildings and houses for crying out loud- this is the easiest thing to do in a "3D" program for goodness sake) may be left feeling a bit cold but we sapiens using the more ADVANCED sections are pretty darn happy.

Trust me I have had so many crashes with LW8 I am just sick and tired of it- but when I am in a complicated scene working with dynamic objects and PFX this becomes a Balm of Gilead of sorts.

Pronounced Inarticulate
    Ben Smith is one of LW's very foremost users & effects animators.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast