Thread: Visual FX using 2D elements??

Visual FX using 2D elements??

I was wondering what some of the best ways are to create 3D effects and apply them to a 2D element like recorded video...

I've tried making a box, 3.2m x 6.4m, putting it a little bit far away from the camera, stretching it out to fill the camera region, putting the video on it, and then creating 3D elements in front of it, but this doesn't seem to work very well when e.g. the 2D has a weird camera position...

any tips?

-SS

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    have you tried to use as background image?
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

yes but that's not so much what i'm talking about with this thread.... i was wondering more about blending 2d with 3d... and how to make it look like the 3D isn't just slapped right on...

btw the reason not to use the video as a backdrop is because backdrop images dont work with raytracing and you don't have as much control over it

thx for your reply tho

-SS

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    Ahh, then your looking at lighting, camera angles from original video and such.

I would try the face camera plugin for the 2D Plate, then just match the lighting (check shadows for angles).

If 2D is dirty (ie grainy and 3D is clean) then after you set up the scene when compared to plate, remove plate, render scene with film grain added in shaders, then composit both.

If you want the 3D to completly interact with the 2D then if you have the DFX with upgrade, you can pull objects out of the 2D film, use a clip map on it, and in layout your 3D objects can go behind the 2D (where there is no longer an image) and come out the other side of the object you kept.

Or you can again pull images from 2D, make that on a plate with clip maps for 3D interaction, then use another plate furthur back with the stuff you removed and have your 3D object seem to walk throughout your 2D film.
    Just a matter of layering plates and pulling correct objects from the original video to correct layers of plates.

It's time consuming, but the better you pull from video, the better the 3D objects will look in final.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

I do this with my VT3 toasterEDIT and LightWAVE.

What I do is render out from lightwave with a ALPHA channel.
    then I put that render onto my timeline in ToasterEDIT and click on the overlay button for that clip. All the parts that have nothing in them you can see threw and I have 3D objects over my video clips.

What are you using to edit videos with?