Thread: In-line help

Smile In-line help

I recieved LW8 yesterday (I live in Switzerland for any others waiting out there) and I have what is sure to be a stupid question: how do you activate the in-line help system? All I get at the moment is a LW8 graphic that tells me to go to the Newtek site. The help docs have installed under documents but I cannot get it to display from within LW as it does on the LW8 videos.

Secondly, for any ATI card users out there, I had great probs getting LW8 running with my 7.5 drivers that were stable. An updated driver eventually did it but it still seems to be a bit unstable with random crashes. The card is an ATI FireGL X1 256mb. Anyone with similar problems/solutions? Anyone tried an Nvidia 6800 yet?

Cheers.
    Nige

inline help = F1 like in other packages
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

Thanks for the reply Nemoid - I have tried F1 and I only get the same LW8 Help graphic that I get when I select 'help' from within the menus and no in-line help. To get any help at all, I have to go into the documentation folder and manually select it and even then it is not in the format that I have seen demo'd on the video. It is as if there is no file association between F1 or the menu, 'help'. Should it have automatically set itself up?
    Nige

uhmm that's really strange. maybe something went wrong during installation?? i'd retry to reinstall Lw in that case...i dunno if there's a way to link the htm file to the F1 shortcut even if i think there should be surely one.

p.s. it should be a .htm file with some flash inside. now that i think about it maybe u don't have a flash plug into your pc or mac computer?

Co-founder of

Excellent call on the Flash Plug-In Nemoid - thanks. I remembered that after messing about with drivers a few weeks ago I ended up having to do a system reset using Goback (great program). However, it reset my system to a pre-flash installation date which I forgot about! A new flash download has cured the prob.

Why is always obvious afterwards?

Now, if I can only cure my display driver stability problem.....
    Nige

Originally posted by nigebabe
    Excellent call on the Flash Plug-In Nemoid - thanks. I remembered that after messing about with drivers a few weeks ago I ended up having to do a system reset using Goback (great program). However, it reset my system to a pre-flash installation date which I forgot about! A new flash download has cured the prob.

Why is always obvious afterwards?

Now, if I can only cure my display driver stability problem.....
    hehe i noticed that the way to consult the file was flash driven so i imagined it could be that prob.

about stability , maybe i'm wrong, but ATI cards have some prob with Lw always. have a friend wich said to me that he never buys ATI for that reason. he goes with Nvidia.

Co-founder of

I think you are right about ATI - although 7.5 was much better than LW8 appears to be with ATI, it was never perfect. I was thinking about Nvidia and 3D Labs, especially 3D Labs as they appear to be about to release twin VPU based cards - I just hope the price will not be stratospheric.
    Nige

I'm running a ATI Rad 9700 on 7.5c and now 8 had no problems at all
    OS is XP home.
    Either Lead, Follow............. or get out of the Way!

My prob is a bit peculiar as it only seems to crash when modelling one particular model, composed of about 30000 polys. However, I can load other objects up with more polys and it works fine. I am sure it can't be the fact that the model with which it crashes was modelled with a mixture of LW7 and then 7.5 or can it? After a reinstall of LW 8 it works for a while until a random selection of F7 or changing the perspective res from one type to another crashes it. I guess it may be a corrupt file but it would presumably not work at all in that case. Very frustrating, especially when I have only just got LW 8 two days ago.

Sounds ominously like a new graphics card or ATI to look at an updated driver (more likely a new card then)

Always up for suggestions.
    Nige

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

reinstall player 7. Work fine.

I've got the same In-line help problem with LW 8.5 on my mac (10.4.5) but not on my PC (2000)
    Remove Flash player 8 (with the flash remover http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/kn...n_15511#remove) and reinstall player 7. Work fine.