Thread: I'm the guinea pig

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar

Unhappy I'm the guinea pig

After much soul searching, and web page cruising for info on the 5950 nvidia and the 9800 xt Radeon, I've decided what to get.

After doing a search here for tips and finding none (nobody has one?),
    I just ordered a Radeon X800Pro 256MB DDR3 ram.

If LW8 dosen't fly with this card then ya'll may not see me here again as wife will choke me to death

AHHhh, to be on deaths edge
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

Re: I'm the guinea pig

Originally posted by prospector

AHHhh, to be on deaths edge
    In LW you can only be on deaths point(s).

HeHe good one
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

I AM THE Action_Bob
    you may have wanted to wait for the soon to be released Nvidia 6800. It will absolutely smoke that radeon.. Plus, I have heard more than a few people having problems with lightwave and ATI cards - driver issues...

-Adrian

Newbie Member
    i have 8 on my work machine with nvidia fx5200 and at home with ati 9600pro. ati card works a whole lot better with the ati card than the nvidia. i hate 8 at work, even moved all the content files from 8 to 7.5, 7.5 runs perfectly.

I have the same ATI card

and I love it! It runs LW8 without a hitch. You will be very happy with it, I assure you.

Plus, I have heard more than a few people having problems with lightwave and ATI cards - driver issues...
    Yep, and if ya did a search of this forum you'd even see me saying tha same thing.

But I heard the driver problem has been fixed and a few people here have been having good luck lately, so I figured I'd give it a go.

Waiting for the 6800 was out as it took higher power supplies and it would have ment that I would have to get 2 as the dual power box I have would have to have matched set.

But also someone will find a way to get the X800 to a X800XT which will put the 6800 out of everyones misery
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

I have never had a problem with anything with my ATi card or drivers. I guess it comes down to system as well!

I AM THE Action_Bob
    that is true, it could be other system conflicts as well. I have just heard less griping over nvidia cards.. However, I have a friend that has a 6800 pro card in his rig and he seems to do alright.

-Adrian

WOOHOO

It's in UPS hands now, left Ill on 18th for delivery date of 21st.
    yummyyummy
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem

I AM THE Action_Bob
    I always like getting presents delivered to my door. THe only bad part is the waiting and um... oh yeah, you need to send money to receive them. No money, no presents...

-Adrian

Originally posted by ACLOBO
    you may have wanted to wait for the soon to be released Nvidia 6800. It will absolutely smoke that radeon.. Plus, I have heard more than a few people having problems with lightwave and ATI cards - driver issues...

-Adrian
    from HardOCP >

When it comes right down to it the X800Pro matches or beats the GeForce 6800Ultra in game performance and IQ. Compare the price, performance, and IQ of the ATI Radeon X800Pro with the GeForce 6800Ultra, and the X800Pro definitely stacks up as the better value than the 6800Ultra. NVIDIA is today launching an even higher clocked Ultra, no doubt in response to the X800XT-PE. We have yet to even see a retail 6800Ultra for any of the partners so currently I would consider these a non-issue. Also, a lower clocked 6800GT is being introduced but this card is simply not currnetly going to play in the same ballpark with the X800 series from ATI.

The Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition goes even further and burns through these games like a hot knife through butter, besting NVIDIA’s 6800Ultra by an easily noticeable real-world margin. If the flagship is what you want, be assured the ATI Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition was the top performer allowing us to play today’s demanding games at higher resolution and quality settings than any 3D graphics accelerator we have ever experienced. '

read whole review here... http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjExLDE=

so...nvidia is def. not smoking ati...

mlon