Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first LW8 crash....

My first LW8 crash....

After 6 days of constant use I had my first LW8 crash. Now what do you think I was doing? Well clearing the scene, of course! I must say I have been real pleased with the stability. I just hope this was a fluke. At least it has not crashed when I've done an object replace or when I have exited LW. These are the three areas that have caused me the most headache over the last couple years, and to be honest, would be well worth the upgrade just to fix these! (Although it looks like some work is still needed.) I'm lov'in it though! A lot of neat small things, along with all the stuff that got hyped up. Nice upgrade.

Modeler's been rock solid. I only had it crash once as well, and that was when I was screwing around with Rounder trying to round some weird shape. ( Basically trying to see if I could crash the thing!) Works great otherwise. The new Cut tool and Rounder are great additions.

Cheers

What stuff do you think is/was hyped?
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Maybe "hyped" was the wrong term. By saying hyped I was not insinuating that the new features don't live up to expectations, I was merely stating that some of the neat little things got absolutely no press at all, and the dynamics, bones etc. got all the limelight.

Tim

Ahh... good you cleared that out! And... I do agree that some features didn´t get as much screentime as others...
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Are you on a Mac or PC?

policarpo|visual designer
    http://www.policarpo.us

"think what you will.
    will what you think.
    anything less is pure folly."

- something to live by

PC. Also since my last post I have been able to repeat the crash at will. I have created a simple script using LScript Commander where when it is executed, clears all my lights, sets ambient light to 80% and loads from a saved scene three spotlights and photo backdrop. This is for quick and cheesy floor shadows for our products. After executing the script and rendering and saving the floor shadow, LW8 will crash every time when clearing the scene. I've also noticed that when I install the script as a plug-in and create a button on the interface, the script fails to load the saved shadow setup scene. The script works fine when executing from the LScript Commander. BTW that didn't work in LW7.5 either.

Cheers
    Tim

I had a crash... when I replaced an image, and F_Prime was running in Background....

one crash ?

happy man.

I had a lot of crashes with LW8 PC.
    And I've never seen such a long switching between Layout and modeler. Poor Hub....

In the first 30 minutes of tests I got about 10 crashes :-(

I must say I'm also a bit lost with all the keyboard shortcut changed and the new menu layout. I know it's not a problem to come back to the old layout. Just wanted to test the new layout.

I tested also a bit the hard body dynamic, tried to make some sort of ball rolling on a halfpipe, and everything was fine up to the first turn... then the ball just jumped over the border (even if the border is realy high)... so I think the physic calculation is somehow not usable for this sort of things...

I'm also quiet a lot disapointed by the manual. Bone edit tool... it's not even explained what it does !

Alain

PS: I'm on PC

Originally posted by garg

I'm also quiet a lot disapointed by the manual. Bone edit tool... it's not even explained what it does !

Alain

PS: I'm on PC [/B]

That's interesting ....the first tool discussed in the help file under the setup tab is Bone Edit mode....

Are you having trouble finding it?

Originally posted by garg
    I must say I'm also a bit lost with all the keyboard shortcut changed and the new menu layout. I know it's not a problem to come back to the old layout. Just wanted to test the new layout.
    Take a look at:
    LW8 Dynamics Test #5 - HardFX, Collision Obj PoolTable
    http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...threadid=21906
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

Originally posted by proton
    That's interesting ....the first tool discussed in the help file under the setup tab is Bone Edit mode....

Are you having trouble finding it?
    Well I found the page about "Bone edit" but it doesn't explain what it do or how to use it beside "allows you to edit your character rigs quickly and easily within the scene you are creating"

Which doesn't help me a lot. This page basicaly explain me only how to enter or leave this mode... nothing else. What should I do once I'm in Bone Edit mode ?

Alain Bertrand

That's all it does at this point. It gets you into edit mode so that you will be able to use the other tools...it jumps you to frame zero, and hides other items in teh scene to make it easy to work on your rig.

It's not a tool it's a mode...maybe that is where there is some sort of confusion...

You can set the layout/modeler back to 7 look...its the likes of menu layout and then presets. Dont have it infront of me at the moment so cant give exact directions.

Try scanning the lightwave 8 folder for plugins..it crashes with bad image errors. Two people I know also get this.
    Works fine if you just scan the plugins folder though.

Originally posted by proton
    It's not a tool it's a mode...maybe that is where there is some sort of confusion...
    Gasp ! Ok ! I was wondering if it would make more than that. Then it defenitly need a clear sentence that it's only an easiest way to work with bones...

Alain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast