Thread: Need to convert .max to .lwo. Help!

Unhappy Need to convert .max to .lwo. Help!

I need to convert a 3D Studio Max file into a format I can use with Lightwave. I have never before had the occasion or need to use a max file in Lightwave. I have a client who got the max file from the airforce, and I don't know if he can get them to convert it into a usable format like .3ds.

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks
    Cliff

"Some kind of high-powered mutant never intended for mass production. Too weird to live. Too rare to die."

Stuper Member
    .max isn't a public format, you have to have Max to convert it. Even with conversion utilities like Deep Exploration you will need to have Max installed to convert it.

Well, Max is a closed file format, so you are going to have to ask your client to save the Max scene out as a 3ds file, which is easy to do from the Export menu option in Max. Modeler will open a 3ds file with no problems, and its just a matter or re-assigning any texture maps to the right surfaces. UVs are converted too!

Simon

You are probably going to be out of luck then, unless you want to spend out for a copy of Max, since conversion apps like Deep Exploration still require an installed Max license to do the conversion.

Unless of course, you can find a kind soul with a copy of Max - And a copy of LW to convert it for you.

So drop me a line & I'll see what I can do for you.

Lightbulb Maybe...

You should try the free Kaydara fbx plugins.

http://www.kaydara.com

Well, I offered to do it.

W.Bush avatar deleted
    the kaydara plug-in (free) is the best way to go

it keeps the surface names intact / the uv / the xyz etc...

so the client should install the fbx plug-in on max and tou on lightwave...

Lightbulb I love this forum!!!

I also face the same problem to convert 3dmax file and normaly I used 3d studio VIZ to convert it into 3ds format b4 import into lightwave.

Thanks Deadlyforce & tektonik
    Regards,
    Kuik2c

Thanks everyone, that's about what I thought I would have to do. I have not heard back from the client yet.

Mkiii, sorry, I didn't realize I was still logged onto the board, and I did not see your message. If you could help me out I would appreciate it enormously. I'll drop you a message.

Thanks

"Some kind of high-powered mutant never intended for mass production. Too weird to live. Too rare to die."