PC:

Operating System: Windows 2000 Sp3+ or Windows XP Sp1+
    Processor: Pentium III minimum requirement, Pentium IV recommended
    System RAM: 512 MB minimum requirement, 1GB recommended
    Graphics Card:
    Slot interface AGP
    Graphics support: Full OpenGL and DirectX
    Driver: Latest from chipset manufacturer
    Dedicated video RAM: 64Mb per display minimum requirement, 128MB recommended
    Minimum screen resolution: 1024x768 minimum requirement, 1280x1024 recommended
    Hard drive space: 230 MB for program installation (not including content)
    ...and I see Windows NT4.0 is not listed. Does this mean NT4.0 is ignored but will probably work because of its similarity to 2000, or is it a required OS upgrade?
    John Gutwin
    Pepperchrome

NT 4 is pretty old, but it would probably work unless they specifically coded it not to.

Usually software companies list "requirements" as a CYA measure. They are limited in what they have time to test with and can not cover all possibilities. I respect Newtek for taking a tough line and saying, "Sorry, not supported", as I work for a company that does just the opposite and support freaking everything.

W8ing over .5 wks 2 long gregsduncan's Avatar
    I don't think it would be wise for NT4 support still. I think Microsoft have stopped releasing service packs for it now. It only supports DirectX up to DX3 (though LW may not use DX), and graphic card and other manufacturers don't support NT4 like they used to either.

Yea Microsoft officially discontinued support for NT4 in june 2003 AFAIK, although it seems they have extended it for one year...
    since then they only released some security fixes...

And honestly, why would you want to use NT4? You must be a masochist then
    It will probably run somehow, but i'm pretty sure no one at Newtek will be wasting his time testing this or even working on fixes...

Originally posted by Lynx3d

And honestly, why would you want to use NT4? You must be a masochist then
    I use it only because Lightwave needs it. 2000 and XP don't add any features I need. I suppose Microsoft needs some more money from me so they can fix bugs and security holes.

If LW 8 works with NT4 I will stick with it, otherwise I will go with 2000.
    John Gutwin
    Pepperchrome

Upgrade OS... it's 2004!!!

Last I looked, it is 2004, so why even consider WIN 2000. Jump over to WinXPPro, and get stable. It runs fine for me and once the most recent updates are on board I have been very pleased. Think of the improvements that Newtek has brought on since NT was released and imagine that your OS should also keep pace. Oh yea... always make sure that you have the most updated graphics card video drivers, assuming your hardware has moved beyond 2000??? Same for print drivers if you trying to generate professional output. It is worth the effort.
    Paul
    Last edited by paulhart; 04-16-2004 at 08:35 AM.
    An eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind... Gandhi/MLKing
    Greater consciousness is worth the effort. Be aware.... so sayest the Animated Fool ~ HARTWORKS www.hartworks.net

W8ing over .5 wks 2 long gregsduncan's Avatar
    A friend of mine who does a lot of video editing / creating commercials etc was impressed with 2000 over NT when he installed in but still had a few crashes along the way. When he installed XP Pro he was very impressed and is the most stable the system has been.

As Paul says you're probably gonna need new drivers for your equipment but XP may come with some of those...

Yup, in the almost two years of using XP Pro on 2 home systems (laptop & desktop) I've had one system crash on the desktop. Simply a driver issue and once fixed zero crashes since then. I use to think 2000 Pro was a relatively stable o/s (I have another laptop that still uses 2k) but XP is by far a great o/s!
    Humans are pretty much monkeys with car keys.

tho from a purely os perspective i really perfer linux :P

however lightwave doesnt work on it so i am forced to dual boot too bad eh?

shows you how much i love it

Yeah Linux rocks. I wish Newtek would put Lw on Linux (or least get the renderer working), but you can run LW and Screamernet under Linux (just use Wine.) I've done it with Screamernet only though. Works nicely.
    "The above post is worth reading... In fact I think it's the best one in this thread!"
    AmadeusZ.-

I use it only because Lightwave needs it. 2000 and XP don't add any features I need. I suppose Microsoft needs some more money from me so they can fix bugs and security holes.
    Why would you stay with NT? I understand not upgrading to a new OS when the other works fine but NT is ancient in terms of hardware support and *some* features.

Because it's hardware support is lacking (in comparison to W2K and XP) it makes me wonder if your hardware couldn't stand for an upgrade as well.

Personally, I'm not a fan of XP. In fact, I loathe it in many ways. I use Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Pro for most of my needs and have no problems.

Just stay away from Millennium.

Too bad Newtek dropped support for IRIX long ago.

Originally posted by Tarrbot
    but NT is ancient in terms of hardware support and *some* features.
    Yea right out of box it doesn't even support USB and most modern removable devices...i really wonder what pain it is to install on a modern PC...

Just stay away from Millennium.

Too bad Newtek dropped support for IRIX long ago.
    Gosh, Millennium is without exaggeration the worst i ever experienced. Some patches and new drivers apparently made it work like 98 (which is not really great either) but...whoever waited that long IS a masochist.

And Irix...i guess most guys who buy an SGI machine can easily afford Maya Unlimited, XSI or Houdini Master too
    Back in those time i always dreamed of a DEC Alpha system...
    Last edited by Lynx3d; 04-18-2004 at 10:47 AM.

Why would you stay with NT?
    I have yet to see why I should upgrade? If LW 8 requires it I will.
    I understand not upgrading to a new OS when the other works fine but NT is ancient in terms of hardware support and *some* features.
    What features? Please be specific.

Because it's hardware support is lacking (in comparison to W2K and XP) it makes me wonder if your hardware couldn't stand for an upgrade as well.
    My hardware is all very well supported, even the new stuff. The only interesting feature I'm aware of is USB support. But the only USB hardware I own is my camera which works very nicely with the Linux server we run. Through the network all my photos are instantly accessable to the WinNT box.

Are there any other hardware support issues beside USB ?
    Or are there any must have features?
    John Gutwin
    Pepperchrome

jgutwin states:
    What features? Please be specific.
    Dude, where have you been? A quick google search shows multiple features over NT (I used google since it's been like 4 years since I even touched NT other than Server situations).

Must have features:
    • NTFS 5.0 (NT doesn't have this, never will)
    • Active Directory (not on NT)
    • Multi-monitor support out of the box.
    • Plug and Play (even with hacks, NT sucks in comparison)
    • Device Manager
    • Common drivers - allows usage of Win9x drivers to be used for W2K
    • Driver certification (not with NT you won't)
    • No reboots on IP change
    • Hot docking with Notebooks
    • Windows Services for UNIX 2.0
    • New Explorer interface allows previewing of media files. (NT wished it had this)
    • Internet Connection Sharing

I may be forgetting some of the features since I haven't used it in so long.

I can't believe in this day and age someone is actively choosing NT over W2K or even XP. I personally don't see much difference between XP and 2K but NT? Come on.

Personally, I would be frantic having to use NT over 2K.

All hatemail over my XP comments can be sent to xpblows AT hotmail.com

Just one link at Microsoft shows this.

*lol*
    yea multiple display support came to my mind too, but could be you still can use it with driver support, but different resolutions and refresh rates may not be available...donno.

Another reason would be if you have a P4 or Xeon with Hyperthreading. Win2k's and previous schedulers are not SMT aware, they assume it's a SMP system, which often does not lead to the performance benefits you'd expect from HT (but AFAIK LW alone doesn't really benefit from it anyway...yet).

Apart from that there are just many small workflow improvements that i don't want to miss...
    And most of the junk i don't like can be disabled or ignored (new XP start menu, IE, MediaPlayer9, that pseudo-firewall etc)

btw, AFAIK NTFS5 support was added with a SP, i think SP4.
    Last edited by Lynx3d; 04-18-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast