Thread: newbiesque question. Boolean or not?

newbiesque question. Boolean or not?

I've been playing with Lightwave for a while now but I have a question that I feel like I should know the answer to it.

If I have overlapping geometry (see picture) should I do a boolean union or just let the geometry intersect but not connect?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

In this case it's more a matter of personal style than any given "right or wrong" way to do it - I'm quite obsessive about optimized and tidy geometry so I'd probably union 'em but maybe keeping things like this will help you modify your geometry later if necessary - in either case they'll render identically.

Good habits to develop are (in no specific order)

Short and descriptive naming conventions for your surfaces i.e. "Room - Wall X" - this has the benefit of allowing you to filter surfaces (on "Wall" or "Room" for instance)

Name your surfaces as you create them and assign different colours (even if they're not the final colours) - this makes life a lot easier.

Use Modeler's excellent "grouping" tools - I need to keep reminding myself about these.

Use the Layer Browser to assign meaningful names to specific layers and to set up parenting inside of Modeler - very handy!
    "Special power!"

Andrew G. Morgan ~ CG Gunslinger
    Survivor Films Ltd.
    London, UK
    Click here to email me!

boolean is somekind out of controll, cleanest for your mesh would be to create this with subdivide and smoothshift or similar^^

I was just wondering if there were issues with rendering performance or errors.

@Aegis: Excellent tips there. Those are things are already in my workflow.

@digimassa: Yes boolean can be problematic and you almost always have to do clean up. I don't use it much but I was wondering if I needed to "clean up" some models.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!