Thread: Quickest Character Model?

Amused

Quickest Character Model?

What is the quickest way to create an efficiently modeled human character that will accept a Motion Builder or Messiah rig? I need to model several characters with detail similar to:

http://www.3dluvr.com/pepeland/3D%20...y%20-%2002.htm

Not photo-realistic, uniform shading and texture, slightly cartoony.

Thanks,

TW

umm,
    Hire someone...?
    Your question is a bit vague.

Amused
    Hew, well, yeah, that would be quickest. But, if you wanted to get a quick start on modeling that character yourself, how would you begin? Is there a modeling method that leads to a character model that is most efficient in terms of CPU/GPU/Render resources?

Thanks,

TW

Only cuz you asked so nicely :
    Depends on whether you need the whole mesh, i.e., you need all that is hidden under the clothing.

If not, I would start with the clothing, finish it. Then do the the head. Then hands. Then boots and legs.

If you need the entire mesh, I'd start at the head, because that's gonna eat up your point count. Then I would pick polys on his torso to make his clothing. I wouldn't worry so much about anything in the boots - a simple, smoothed box would be the feet.
    Look on NewTek's site for a tute on fingers for a really efficient way to do the hands.

All of this would be subdivided, of course, though I don't think that would go with your game engine needs.

Hope that helps.

More to the point of your question:
    Doing a very rough approximation of your object first would be the best as it would allow you to determine where you will need polys for animation. As well, where you can skimp on the detail.
    Point by point wouldn't be good, I would think. The box method might be worthy for this effort.

Go over to CGTalk and post the question -- lots of game makers over there.

Amused
    Thanks Robert,

This isn't for a game, it's for a short trailer for a project I want to pitch to cable. My story is set in the future where, as we all know, everybody wears jumpsuits. So I don't need the underlying body, just the suit with a head and hands. I was hoping to find a near ready model and just adapt it. Heck, truth be told, I was hoping to cheat like hell and find libraries of facial morphs and stock movements too.

TW

Tom,
    They are out there... I just don't know where.
    However, there are lots of sites out there worth investigating. Do the google for: 3d clothing lightwave (jumpsuits - in this search doesn't retrieve much, on google at least) Hands are easy to find as well as a head. So you should be on your way sooner than later.
    I found a bunch of stuff but not what you seem to be looking for. However...
    Once you find some pants and a shirt, it should be easy enough to join them to resemble a jumpsuit. Heck, a belt covering the waist zone'll get ya there.

I sure hope I'm not around when jumpsuits become the norm... they're uncomfortably binding...
    Good luck, Tom!

you could always get some from turbosquid, but that might cost a bit. otherwize get a couple of tuts from around and spend all night working on one!

Epita

Amused
    Heh, yeah Epita, I hear you.

I just got Dan Ablan's latest book and dayam! It's three inches thick! Okay, fine. I'll do it myself.

TW