Thread: Can I get some Reflection with that Alpha?

Can I get some Reflection with that Alpha?

I modeled a glass-like logo in LW 7.5. The face of the logo's Transparency is set at 95% with an Environmental Reflection map set at 40%. When rendered in LW it has a nice reflection across the surface. This reflection is seen against any type of background in LW. The Problem is that the rendered alpha channel doesn't do justice to the reflection. The Alpha channel has a constant 95% Transparency. When the logo is apllied to another background in a program like photoshop, it loses it's nice reflection. I'm still somewhat new to LW, is there some easy way to overcome this problem. I don't know, maybe it's just one of those things you gotta key in

LLW
    NEW TO THE LW COMMUNITY
    Where is the magical button that fixes all my problems?

LW renders its Alphas premultiplied.

Try using 'Remove Black Matte' under the Layer tab (if you use a black background to render on in LW), otherwise, i suggest using AfterFX for compositing this if you own it offcourse (just set the Alpha to 'Premultiplied - Matted with Color' , can be found under Interpret Footage -> Main (or just hit CTRL-F or Apple-F))

Most other composite suites support this way of defining your Alpha type.

Yes, I'm an After Effects User. Thanks for the input, it gave me a good way to create an alpha channel if I rendered a logo on black in LW. I could not find the layer tab or "Remove Black Matte". But I typed "Remove Black Matte" in AE 5.5 Help and discovered the Color Difference Filter. This Filter is very usefull, I should have known about it. Thanks again.

LLW
    NEW TO THE LW COMMUNITY
    Where is the magical button that fixes all my problems?