Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 64 Bit part 2 (or is it 3 or 4?)

64 Bit part 2 (or is it 3 or 4?)

http://news.com.com/2100-1006_3-5150...?tag=nefd_lede

I see this as being good for everyone...

Let the debates begin!
    (ya know its gonna happen)

I remember a few months back that Intel was Licensing AMDs technology for 64bit, makes you wonder if they are pulling a Microsoft.
    ImageReality.com

"Relax...it's just an update for the patch to fix the nerf that nerfed the fix for the update of the patch that broke the fix that was fixed."

Late 2013 MacPro 12 Core

If I remember..
    Microsoft said they were only gonna do one version of a 64 bit os right?

So that kinda forces intel to follow AMD's lead..

I wonder if Intel can do it better....

Yes!

Microsoft said they'll work on a single 64bit Windows version, but maybe Intel could ruin this hope!

Bye.
    Last edited by Exper; 01-30-2004 at 10:54 AM.
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

I think whatever happens.. im going to wait to see what Intel has before upgrading my machine..

(its not terribly slow now, I can afford to wait a bit)

I can't say anything about the next version of Windows [something about an NDA] but maybe later this year I will share.

As for the entire 64bit disscussion this has been argued to death already.
    ImageReality.com

"Relax...it's just an update for the patch to fix the nerf that nerfed the fix for the update of the patch that broke the fix that was fixed."

Late 2013 MacPro 12 Core

all i need to know is will win 64 run on opterons? if inte produce something and mircosoft adopt it then i'm gonna be really annoyed i jsut ordered a opteron workstation =/

The industry has known for a while that Intel's Itanium processor has no future. It's finished. It's dead.

The Itanium project will go down in history as one of the biggest corporate losses ever, along with Motorola's Iridium satellite network.

I posted a thread here some months ago that Intel was going with AMD's "x86-64" architecture, rather than creating its own 64-bit extensions to x86. We've known this for a while, even though no official announcement has been made.

It would have been a good time to buy shares in AMD. Probably still is! Every time Intel makes a processor it must pay AMD some licensing fees.

The biggest loser is Hewlett-Packard who shared the development costs of Itanium, and axed their own processors in favor of Itanium. What a disaster!

A few years ago, Newtek demonstrated a prototype of Lightwave 3D running in 64-bit mode on an Itanium processor. That went nowhere, though at least it means LW's code is now 64-bit clean to make it easier to go 64-bit on other platforms (ie AMD/Apple).

Originally posted by TSpyrison
    I think whatever happens.. im going to wait to see what Intel has before upgrading my machine.
    We've just said that Intel has lost control of the future 64-bit processor market. No point waiting for the company that has been the worst performer in the 64-bit space.

The biggest selling 64-bit processor right now is the IBM-970, renamed by Apple as the G5, and driving current PowerMacs.

Next is AMD's Opteron. As soon as MS releases a 64-bit OS (people say it's coming this year), the Opteron will probably become the biggest selling 64-bit processor.

Both AMD and Apple machines will be able to run future 64-bit applications, but can also run legacy 32-bit apps.

If you buy a current Intel Pentium or Xeon, it will always be stuck in 32-bit land. When MS releases the 64-bit OS, you won't be able to upgrade to use it. When Lightwave64 eventually comes out, you won't be able to run it.

So buy a 64-bit machine now (if you want your machine to last), and you'll be able to run the next generation of 64-bit applications.

For Windows:
    AMD64 / Opteron

For Mac:
    The 64-bit G5 PowerMac

You could buy a machine based on AMD 64 3000 which is only about $220 ( for the chip ).

But , there is nothing wrong buying a machine with 32 bit chips if they are faster for what you need today.

By the time Apple or Microsoft come out with 64 bit OS, chips you buy today will be considered garbage anyway. G5 is already garbage since a single AMD chip outperforms a dual G5 in many instances even with MP aware apps..

Don't be fooled with this Apple has a hybrid64 bits, bla..., bla.. nonsense. Fact is neither Apple nor AMD can really run any 64 bit application and it will remain that way for about 2 years.

Remember also that you should never take advice from any of the Apple fans ( you can see from their posts like those stating as fact: "G5 at 2.6 mhz arriving in early January", that they are full of it )

Originally posted by CaptainKirk
    G5 is already garbage...
    Remember also that you should never take advice from any of the Apple fans
    Did an Apple user hurt you as a child, Captain Kirk?

Originally posted by Beamtracer
    The Itanium project will go down in history as one of the biggest corporate losses ever, along with Motorola's Iridium satellite network.
    Oh yes I remember the Motorola's Iridium satellite network from my Economics class when I was in school....lol. One group had to do research as to why it was such a failure. Kinda of funny when you think about it, now that Intel's Itanium chip is facing the same path.

Originally posted by Exper
    Microsoft said they'll work on a single 64bit Windows version
    Actually, not so. Microsoft allowed both Intel and AMD to each develop a 64-bit platform. It's just that Intel's IA-64 (Itanium) has not done well in the market, and so Intel then wanted to develop a second 64-bit platform (extensions to x86) and Microsoft said no.

Now Intel will be forced to license AMD64, which they'll call Intel CT. Some have joked that 'CT' means "Competitor's Technology"!

For Intel fans, I still think Intel will be very dominant in the processor market, even if they do license AMD64 rebranded as "CT".

AMD will become a bit stronger, and and more competitive with Intel. This will force both companies to work harder at R&D and build better processors.

I really believe Windows users will be better off with more competition in processors. Think of the extra competition as a positive thing.

I stand by my comment that it's better to buy one of the new 64-bit machines, whether it's Windows, Mac OS or whatever.

Microsoft says they'll have their 64-bit Windows ready in a few months. Newtek could probably have Lightwave64 ready soon after that. You want to be able to run these things.

Current Pentiums are 32-bit. Also Mac G3 and G4 machines are 32-bit.

AMD64, Opteron and Mac G5 machines are all fully 64-bit hardware. When Intel brings out their "CT" processors they will be a good buy also.

this thread's soo funny, each time there is a "combat between Beam(fan) and a PC(fan)" it's always very fun. I had a good laugh with the "did an apple user hurt you as a child..." keep posting please.... ahhh this Saturday starts good... 'like that !

later.... Hervé

Originally posted by Beamtracer
    Actually, not so. Microsoft allowed both Intel and AMD to each develop a 64-bit platform. It's just that Intel's IA-64 (Itanium) has not done well in the market, and so Intel then wanted to develop a second 64-bit platform (extensions to x86) and Microsoft said no.
    Misunderstood!
    I was speaking about the same thing: Microsoft will allow only a new 64bit Windows!

A big sorrow goes to HP and thier PA-Risc (one of the most powerful CPU then double died transforming to Itanium)!

Bye.

P.S. Hervé... I'm agree!
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

Originally posted by Exper
    A big sorrow goes to HP and thier PA-Risc (one of the most powerful CPU then double died transforming to Itanium)!
    Yes, Hewlett Packard's PA-RISC processor was one of the best around, and would be today if it still existed.

I don't think PA-RISC morphed into Itanium, though. In the 1990s everyone (including Intel) thought RISC was the future. Intel had no RISC experience, so they partnered with Hewlett Packard who had extensive RISC experience.

HP is the big loser, and it'll be interesting how this affects their relationship with Intel, and also Microsoft.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast