Thread: A missing button...

A missing button...

Hehe, not really "missing" in the original sense but I have been playing around with the new surface blend shader and would like to have a button where I can "Copy result to material" so I can use the shader more like a tool instead of a shader. Also I would'nt have to load the objects with the original surfaces anymore. And while you're at it: any way to get the surface thickness parameter into the preview or VIPER? Thanks in advance.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

The surface editor is completely outdated and not enough open ( and that's why g2 isn't completely integrated). Give us a good node based sytem, look at slim.

A node based system would be my favorite, too. But it would have to be fully customizable just like Mental Ray - different shaders, custom tools full integration with the lighting system (for exclusive lighting) etc. At least to me the advantages are obvious (almost unlimited combinations possible, easily expandable etc) but there is a strong opposition to this in the LW community. Also it would only make sense if one could use expressions, geometry inputs etc. like in Maya and this would mean a major chage of LW's internal structure.

Mylenium
    [Pour Mylène, ange sur terre]

Originally posted by Mylenium
    A node based system would be my favorite, too. But it would have to be fully customizable just like Mental Ray - different shaders, custom tools full integration with the lighting system (for exclusive lighting) etc. At least to me the advantages are obvious (almost unlimited combinations possible, easily expandable etc) but there is a strong opposition to this in the LW community. Also it would only make sense if one could use expressions, geometry inputs etc. like in Maya and this would mean a major chage of LW's internal structure.

Mylenium
    if most of lw'ers dont want it, then at least a node-based like representation of it. of course, it's not the same...
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Traitor
    Well, how about if layers in the surfaced editor allowed any other layer from any surface (and/or shader) as input (similar to the previous layer input on gradients). Perhaps allow all channels as input into any texture layer .

The outcome of this would be, in effect, a nodal based system without the pretty nodal diagrams, of course.

Anyway, more food for thought....

Regards
    Matt

Originally posted by mattc
    Well, how about if layers in the surfaced editor allowed any other layer from any surface (and/or shader) as input (similar to the previous layer input on gradients). Perhaps allow all channels as input into any texture layer .

The outcome of this would be, in effect, a nodal based system without the pretty nodal diagrams, of course.

Anyway, more food for thought....

Regards
    Matt
    imo, it might get really confusing which belongs to what and where.
    "The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and His compulsion is our liberation." - C.S. Lewis

Traitor
    Hence why folks would want the pretty nodal diagrams. Perhaps a 5th tab in the surface editor called 'Nodal View' or something.....

Regards
    Matt