Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: architectural visualization - bookshop

architectural visualization - bookshop

Just finished this visualization of a bookshop. It's been a huge project. I worked on it for 21 days at about 10h per day. There's still many things I would like to improve, but I run out of time...
    scene facts:
    The scene is huge with 1.5 million polys and 250 lights...
    The animation took 6 days to render on 3 2 Ghz computers (540x432 low AA resolutin).

Anyways I'm glad it's over .

I have a question though for all of you experienced arch. viz. artists... This is my first major project and as such I don't have a good idea of what it's acctually worth. I know it's a delicate subject, but I'd just like to hear roughly what price range I should be looking at.

And of course C&C are as always very welcome.
    Thanks!

Watch animation here! (Xvid codec required)
    Get Xvid codec here...

Some individual frames:

And some more views...
    Interior view
    Interior view 2
    Interior view 3
    Other side...
    Another version...
    Last edited by Jure; 01-26-2004 at 03:17 AM.

Wink

Hi Jure.

This is great! It's crisp and clear, and easy to see exactly how the rooms and space is used. Good example of architectural animation.

One shot shows some books on a bookshelf. Please tell me these aren’t all individual shapes/polys? That might have been why the count and render times were so huge. A box with a book-stack texture would have sufficed for architectural stuff?

T x
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Tony Stewart
    http://www.impossible-images.com

Wink

Thanks,
    yes books are acctualy modeled. About 6 polygons each... I was woried it would look too flat if I just stuck image map on a plane, because camera moves so close to the shelves. And it didn't realy take that long to render. The major renderhit were reflections.
    Idndividual frames took from 5-25 minutes to render on my P4 2.6 Ghz with 1GB ram.

Yeah I see. But a box plane, with perhaps a few 'real modelled' books peppering the shelf would have been good, especially with some bump-maps thrown in. 5-min a frame render times are still pretty big, and I'm always strving to get them low!

Either way, its great!

T x
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Tony Stewart
    http://www.impossible-images.com

whoah big model!

my only crit would be the camera movement, it's more suited to a mini-fighter jet buzzing around the interior, archi-vis stuff is a little more relaxed and smooth.

apart from that it looks pretty good.

cost should be in the 10s of thousands, it would cost that if they had to make a physical model of it, and it took you many hours or work.
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

Yes that is excellent work. I especially love the lighting (1st pic in particular). 250 lights? I take it that wasn't 250 area lights? My machine renders at a snails pace with just 3....

Adrian.

Looking grear jure, It's hell of a job form wha ti can see

I agree about camera movement but i can see that client wanted everythint to be shown . It would be much better if si edited wiht some NLE SW and make final product 'coz right way camera moving forward and backwards to go in next room isn't too great but i understand it .

How did you setuped lights ? Luxigons or manualy ?
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments.

About lights, no there is not 1 single area light in there... Most are point and spot lights. And yes many lights have been added using luxigons, but there are also lots of lights placed manualy, arrayed in layout using Loco plugin i got from flay.
    The camera movement isn't great I know, I acctualy didn't want to make a wlakthrough simply because it seemed a bit boring to me when I did a preview. So I made a flythrough rather . Ok maybe I exaggerated a with bank movement a bit .

Loco is a great plugin, I helped beta test it! (did the artwork too
    UI / UX Designer @ NewTek

wow really good work. Although that render time is a sting! 250 lights is quite high, did you use any surface baking? It'd be intresting to see what the reder times are like without any lights on and ambient at around 20-40%
    Really impressed with the final look, its great How many frames in the animation can i ask?

Thanks Jaffro,
    I didn't even try to use surface baking, because I was worried that creating good UVs would be too much of a pain on such a complex scene...
    And yes you are right, there is tremendous speed boost withouth the light... Will stick with less lights next time.
    The animation is 2000 frames long.
    cheers!

Can't wait to see it but I can't find an installable codec. The Xvid site only provides source code for download.

Yes xvid.org is confusing, i know...
    For those of you having problem finding codec, here is direct link to download page...
    http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/
    Added the link to first post also...
    Last edited by Jure; 01-26-2004 at 03:18 AM.

Its difficult optimising large scale scenes. I've only ever 'baked' surfaces manually, haven't used the surface baker tool so i dont know how reliable or accurate it is. But it can save loads of time, 6 days to render - spend a day optimising by baking and corrections and you may still end up better off by a day or two after the render times.

Ok, found the codec, oddly not on the xvid site .

What a nice little job, well done completing it.

The animation perhaps needed tweaking more but it does the job. There seemed to be too much time spent running up & down the book shelves when I really wanted to see the architecture properly. The external elevations & ground floor seemed to be lost. I'd suggest widening the camera angle for tighter space such as the cafe area. The camera 'banking' angle seemed odd at times (at the start) and detracted a little from the show. It's a smashing little project though and you did well to produce visuals and a 2 minute animation in 21 days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast