Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop Flexible Point File Format?

Photoshop Flexible Point File Format?

This is listed as one of the new formats supported by Lightwave 8 in the feature list.I did a search on google and I couldn't find out any info about it. Does anyone know what the Flexible Point File Format is?
    Last edited by takkun; 01-13-2004 at 02:41 PM.

I was wondering the same, then I was also thinking that we have a "image viewer FP" in Lw.
    dunno about Photoshop support, though.

so...maybe FP and Floating Point images are the same?
    Nemoid | Illustrator | 3D artist
    .::Creating for you::.

Co-founder of

www.lwita.com italian/english Lw forum

FP normally stands for Floating Point!

Maybe NT should tell us more... if... they want!

Bye.
    Visit 3D Recursions :: 3D Math for Art Places
    plus Attractors Art! and My own old and ancient Site!

"Everyone needs something / Sometimes they don't know why / But so much good's been misunderstood / In the blink of the eye / So I take a little bad with the good / It ain't just black and white" Iggy Pop

I didn't know Photoshop supported any floating point formats.

I would have preferred a simpler option. Just put regular 16-bpc PSD support in the Lightwave render menu. (It currently exists as a plug-in which is not always accessible). Also, 16-bpc TIFF support would have been handy.

Photoshop can read 16-bpc PSD images.
    After Effects can read 16-bpc PSD images.
    They can both read 16-bpc TIFFS.

What app can read FP PSD images?

Also, the EXR format is very new, so there aren't huge numbers of apps that support that either.

In Lightwave's render menu there are various 32-bpc FP image formats, but there are no 16-bpc formats that can be read by either After Effects or Photoshop.

This really needs improvement, as 16-bpc is now the mainstay of film and broadcast production.

This is just a shot in the wind, but I think it just means the regular PSD layer exporter we have now as a image filter plugin. but.... having it work "properly" so we dont have to open it in photoshop, shift and delete layers, change layer modes, etc.. to work with it.
    at least, thats what Im hoping they mean.
    RJ Forbes
    Coral House
    Application Development, 3d Animation, Video Production

It's all in the motion
    I have Photoshop CS at work and there still is no floating point formats. There is 8 and 16 bit. From what I've read in the photoshop mags they added more filter and tool compatability to the 16 bit modes.

I even did a search on Adobe and there is nothing about floating point formats.

Floating point image editing I still do in FilmGimp.

It may just be a bad choice of wording. If they really mean you can save either 8 or 16 per layer images then that would be really cool.

Where is Chuck to the rescue?

Jay

Inquisitor
    Are'nt they refering to the .flx (flexible format) currently in Lightwave?

It's all in the motion
    maybe? I just reread the list and I think my earlier post was off.

-----------------------
    Direct Show Flexible Point: allows users to view Flexible Point images in Internet Explorer.
    OpenEXR file format support
    Photoshop Flexible Point file format support
    -------------------------
    In Internet explorer and photoshop? it sounds like they are making a direct draw codec/plugin and photoshop plugin that will allow them both to open the .flx file wizlon mentioned.

Jay

What is an flx file?

It's all in the motion
    did a seearch and it is a floating point file format that can also contain an alpha channel.

there is already a photoshop plugin to load it

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1072

The plugin from what i see in the comments may not work. I guess LW has a working version out for LW 8

Jay

Originally posted by wizlon
    Are'nt they refering to the .flx (flexible format) currently in Lightwave?
    Good guess!!!!

We're clarifying that by pulling the current under-informative bullet points and replacing them with this, in the Other Enhancements section.

Integration Tools

*Photoshop plugins that allow NewTek's Flexible Image HDRI format (.flx) to be loaded into PhotoShop.
    *DirectShow filter allowing .flx animations to be played in Windows Media Player.
    Chuck Baker
    Senior Manager of Communications
    NewTek, Inc.
    NewTek.com
    LightWave3D.com
    NewTek USA Facebook
    Twitter
    LinkedIn
    Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
    Please note that any statements regarding future product development are forward looking and subject to change without notice.

It's all in the motion
    Thanks Chuck,

jay

. . . neato . . .

Originally posted by Chuck
    Good guess!!!!

We're clarifying that by pulling the current under-informative bullet points and replacing them with this, in the Other Enhancements section.

Integration Tools

*Photoshop plugins that allow NewTek's Flexible Image HDRI format (.flx) to be loaded into PhotoShop.
    *DirectShow filter allowing .flx animations to be played in Windows Media Player.
    What would be really useful is a Quicktime plug-in to allow Quicktime savvy applications to use the flx formt.

In particular, Adobe After Effects. It would be great to be able to import flx files and use them in After Effects. I think that would be more useful than the Photoshop plug-in.

At the moment, there's a lack of compatibility between LW and AE for image file formats greater than 8bpc.

I thought AE could use photoshop plugins?

Jay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast