Thread: Videocards

Videocards

Hi,
    I was wondering why LW renders using the processor only.... With a graphic card, you actually have '2' processors...so what's the reason not to use them. Virtually every computer has a graphic card, then everyone would have a dual processor system..

If anyone knows...please be so kind to tell me

Sander

Using a video card to render is a relatively recent happening, at least in the "real world". Currently, LightWave doesn't support it, but pretty sure XSI and Maya do. As to "why?"... They haven't gotten around to it yet. Probably won't happen in LightWave for a very long time.

You're right, Maya can use the graphic card to render some parts of an image.

That would be nice, as I read somewhere the other week, that my video card (FX5900 Ultra) out performed a P4 3Ghz. So that plus processor would be a most welcomed feature.

You learn something new every day.

I thought they just used the graphic cards output (opengl multi-textures, cubemapping, particle sprites etc) and saved the animation for pre-vis, I didn't think they used the cards power for actual renders.

Essentially, I thought it was just a more advanced LW preview render, something I was hoping to see in 8.0.

Anyone know anymore?
    Brent