Thread: non planer planes???

Angry non planer planes???

I am trying to make a sword and i make a box 1 width, 2 for hieght, and .2 for depth all in meters. i have about 15, 15, 5 for the lines so i can make it more details but when i seem to drag the point to model the handle or blade i get non planer planes and i cant seem to no get these. are there any suggestion for me like maybe o have to much detail or something? thank for help in advance.

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    Tryin ta get a handle on what you are trying to do so a pic would be nice, but I would make a poly at the end of the sword and smooth shift it out to a general shape of the handle and then do fine tuning.

It sounds like (but I am probably mistaking it) that you are trying to pull points out towards the handle?? Which will screw up any polys you have it connected to and make them non-planer.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

An easy way of handling non-planar polys is to triple them, since three-vertice polys cannot be non-planar. Just select the non-planar polys and hit the Triple button.

The reason i do not want to try to triple them is becuase i think that the sword will get messed up. I was just wornding if there was anyhting i did that made it create non planer poly's. tripling them will be my last option.

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    there is only 1 way to make a poly non-planer, if you make a 4 point poly and then drag 1 corner point towards the cross corner point, you will see the color change in perspective (if shaded is on) you made a non-planer poly, if you then drag the point down, you will see the poly start changing into a 'V' shape and change colors, again you made a non-planer.
    What it's doing is going past the angle of smooth shading.
    So as you are pulling points in your sword, watch for the color change.
    Trippling a poly fixes this by making a flat surface and holding it no matter what point you pull and no matter how far.
    If you want to keep all 4 point polys then you need more geometry, or redesign your point placement.
    Which is why I asked for a pic.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive