Thread: Roman Ke▀ler - WIP Sci-Fi Scene on Lightwave 3d Support Group

Roman Ke▀ler - WIP Sci-Fi Scene on Lightwave 3d Support Group

So, for various reasons I can't post to the Lightwave 3d Support Group Facebook, but Roman Ke▀ler shared an excellent WIP video of a sci-fi vehicle in a sandstorm.

The vehicle movements are excellent and the composition is very good! I definitely recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

He did express some dissatisfaction with the piece and I wanted to make some suggestions that might get him thinking, so I thought I would post them here in the off-chance that he would see them.

I think the part you are dissatisfied with is the post-production dust; the dust itself is very good... but I'm having a hard time finding your light source in the scene and the dust doesn't seem to be casting shadows. It's obscuring, but doesn't seem like it is adding to the depth of the lighting; when I'm watching it, the specular on the vehicle never seems to dim at all, it remains constant.

If your particles were casting shadows onto the vehicle and the surface, I think you would be much happier with it.

I would also recommend getting some particles flying directly at and in front of the camera; perhaps even set up a custom impact object around the camera so that the particles are partially impacting and bouncing off of it.

Anyhoo, that's my two cents and hopefully Roman visits this forum occasionally and can get some inspiration from the feedback.

Great work, Roman!!

To anyone interested, this is a link to the Facebook thread:

https://www.facebook.com/DOUGHCGI/vi...2075159144776/

It is an excellent piece of animation
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

Quote Originally Posted by Qexit View Post
    To anyone interested, this is a link to the Facebook thread:

https://www.facebook.com/DOUGHCGI/vi...2075159144776/

It is an excellent piece of animation
    Thanks very much... I meant to put a link in, but completely forgot!

Quote Originally Posted by RPSchmidt View Post
    Thanks very much... I meant to put a link in, but completely forgot!
    Easy enough to do I've also posted a link to this thread over on Facebook so hopefully Roman Ke▀ler will get to read your comments which should make useful reading.
    Kevin F Stubbs

Remember...one size does NOT fit all

some critics, not sure if it is the quality of the video posted, but the general look is gritty and not much detail in the dust trails for the cars, and the general storm, maybe that is to be expected when overlaying both storm and dust trail, they seem to merge in to eachother too much.
    Can┤t post this feedback on facebook since I do not have an account, can just hope that he finds it here.

Roman here, have not been logged in here for a while, so I would have missed this without the FB link. Thanks though! Your comments are very much appreciated - and they are on point as well. I got a bit blinded by the storm of what is accually wrong with the composition. I am going to work on the points mentioned by you all, mainly the quality of the dust trails, the storm effects on the car (lighting / reflection - dimming down the gloss when the dust hits it) and so on. Also some lightning flash in the background and a bright flash a bit into the camera move, along with some cam shake could make it a bit more energetic. It's missing a bit of the impact I hoped to achieve so far. So very helpfull comments, thank you all very much for replying to my WIP! And great that you like it!

Quote Originally Posted by dough View Post
    Roman here, have not been logged in here for a while, so I would have missed this without the FB link. Thanks though! Your comments are very much appreciated - and they are on point as well. I got a bit blinded by the storm of what is accually wrong with the composition. I am going to work on the points mentioned by you all, mainly the quality of the dust trails, the storm effects on the car (lighting / reflection - dimming down the gloss when the dust hits it) and so on. Also some lightning flash in the background and a bright flash a bit into the camera move, along with some cam shake could make it a bit more energetic. It's missing a bit of the impact I hoped to achieve so far. So very helpfull comments, thank you all very much for replying to my WIP! And great that you like it!
    It's a very strong piece and the particle effects are very good... they just need that little extra work to composite better with the vehicle.

Thanks for sharing your work... I am anxious to see the final product :-)

I made a new version: The effects are more integrated with the car now, the car is now more part of the environment and does not stand out as much. And I hope it looks more like a storm. This version has a few texts and sounds, as it is the second teaser trailer for my (german) kids book. I plan to do a long cinematic trailer, but have to do it in my free time. So it might take a few thousand years...Hope you like it and consider it a step forward.
    https://youtu.be/qDBx3xsIy1c

Quote Originally Posted by dough View Post
    I made a new version: The effects are more integrated with the car now, the car is now more part of the environment and does not stand out as much. And I hope it looks more like a storm. This version has a few texts and sounds, as it is the second teaser trailer for my (german) kids book. I plan to do a long cinematic trailer, but have to do it in my free time. So it might take a few thousand years...Hope you like it and consider it a step forward.
    https://youtu.be/qDBx3xsIy1c

Lovely Roman a real step forward, I see a little homage of Master George Miller's 'MadMax- Fury Road'

lightning in there for a nice visual interruption in the camera pan , looking super now. Well done.

In the trailer: May I suggest a wheel shot closeup ( in bullet) with a rock spat out from under the thread

it would give will give great tension in a inter-cut. just small suggestion?

Thanks for sharing this. Looks great to me!

My only little thought is not related to the 3D work but the camera movement. Since it looks to be an establishing shot, I was thinking the camera should start wide and then push in to reflect the intensity of the scene and draw you in more versus pulling out. Just a thought.

Much better indeed, though the dust trail may be vanishing a bit too much..perhaps thicker dust trail
    and make it more white in tone to distinguish from main storm dust.

You know..when you look at sandstorm in prometheus, which also have dust trails from a vehicle
    and Mad max fury road, they have a very delicate balance in terms of
    how to illustrate it..mainly they keep the sandstorm at a distance and don┤t let
    the sand cover the camera view too much, in your case..you don┤t have a sandstorm piling up but you
    are already in it, meaning that will always introduce difficulties in terms of
    making other things clear to visualize.

Reference...
    Prometheus...

Fury road..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNchgZjufE

Thanks! Yes, it could be improved regarding the dust trails - but I don't mind that much, because I did not want to show of my (dis)ability to create a dust trail, but to have a car in a sandstorm. It was a weak point in my first WIP, so not being able to see the trail is not so problematic I think. And as you mentioned, even in fury road - the trail gets kind of lost in the storm.
    It would be a great point, if I was to approach the storm. This is why I changed the look from the WIP. The more I thought about the scene and what I disliked, the clearer it became to me, that I wanted to be IN the storm. And while I need the dust from the wheels to hide the contact point to the ground, I was not too eager to show "a great trail of dust".

The trailer for my book is going to be more a collection of scenes. So a follow up to this would basically show the 3 characters in the cockpit of the car while approaching the storm - not much more of the car in the storm. The scene coming after this, is here by the way: https://youtu.be/_tEJfmXDHHA
    Spoiler: The car won't make it through the storm.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the very helpfull feedback - great advises!

The new version looks outstanding! The interplay of lighting and the additional shadows / shading really add to the composition!

Beautiful work!

@ RPSchmidt: Thank you very much! Great that you like it! Makes me happy!